1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend may have seen my EC bookmark while using my PC

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Tyrael, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Tyrael

Ok so no one knows I'm bi. My friend of many years was over yesterday and was asking me if I could Youtube something. So I thought nothing of it an went online.

However, I use Firefox and so for convenience all my favourite links are there just below the Address Bar. Including Youtube and right beside it is EC. Now it doesn't just say EC of course, it says the full website title etc. Also when I opened a new tab, it showed all my most visited sites in like the tile format it has, including also EC. Except now it was a tile shot of the full site so it's obvious what it is. I tried to quickly enter the site I was opening the tab for and I'm unsure if my friend saw it or not. I distracted him and deleted the shortcut from below the address bar, hoping that he didn't see it. Should I assume he did and ask? Or just play dumb?

2. girlonfire

If you're not ready to tell him, then assume he didn't see. If he really wants to know he'll bring it up with you. (this is why I use Chrome incognito xD)

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude last I had EC up for a second on the giant-ass projector when I was getting ready to teach. Fortunately only one person saw if at all. So I feel you on this one haha.

As for your situation, I'd be inclined to play dumb unless you're ready to come out to him, you think there's a chance he might tell other people and you want to stop him before he does, or you saw some kind of surprised or negative reaction on his face.

4. Tyrael

Well it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has made a mistake lol. He's not one to miss much so I am almost certain he saw it but I was too busy having a heart attack to see his reaction. I don't think he'd mention it to anyone, but I did say to him I frequently use A forum but never told him which one so he's probably put it together. Disaster lol.

5. Rainbow Music

That's funny, but kind of sucks at the same time. A similar thing happened to me once before. I was on the computer at home, and I had EC open, and my mom wanted to use the computer for a few minutes, so i quickly opened a new tab and closed out of the one I was on. I don't think she saw though, because she never said anything. This was of course before I came out. Now I don't even care. Anyways just don't say anything. If he mentions it in passing talk about it, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

6. ninerw

I try to be super cautious around my roommates and classmates. I mean, it shouldn't matter as much around them as it does around my family, but I freak out that someone will find out about me.

7. Tyrael

I'm pretty sure he knows now, he just sent me a very suspect picture message which wasn't directly related but hard to miss the context. I'll keep quiet about it I guess, no harm in it heh.

8. UIOP

Ooh, unlucky. A similar thing happened to me not too long ago actually. A friend (who I had a crush on) wanted to print something off so I let them onto my computer. I forgot that I had been experimenting with the background (I use Windows 8 so it automatically changes every now and then). The first thing he saw was a picture of a gay pride flag. Then, the background quickly changed to one saying 'respect our differences'. Normally, that wouldn't have meant anything but it was very awkward when he had just seen a LGBT flag before. Then, he opened my Google Chrome and EC was open! Plus, it was open in a couple of other tabs too. Even worse was that I had googled something like 'how to come out as gay' and that was open on another tab. Very awkward as he didn't say anything at all.

At least your situation wasn't that bad. Ha ha. My friend hasn't really changed much after that so I wouldn't worry too much about your friend, to be honest.

9. sammy1

This made me chuckle a bit because I can kind of relate to that because sometimes on my iPad I just keep this tab opened and dad asked if he could search somthing so without thinking I handed him my iPad and I almost started crying right then and there! But thankfully EC wasn't opened on my browser when dad was using it! Whew! That was a scary moment, my heart probly skipped a couple beats off sure!

10. Au.Quicksilver

A simmilar thing could have happened to me before. Tabs. My mum came in when I was on the laptop. I haven't said a thing. But it depends on the person, if you tell them or not.

---------- Post added 13th Dec 2013 at 07:40 PM ----------

You could ask why he sent it. It may provide answers.

11. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it means you have a real friend; lucky you! :icon_bigg

12. musicgirl18

Can I just say, all of these comments above are why I always use Private mode when I get on here. XD Just saying, I've had way to many close calls with my mom looking stuff up on my computer to just leave it out in the open.

13. Silver Sparrow

My parents have come into my room and nearly seen/seen EC on my computer.