1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heh heh...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by girlonfire, Dec 13, 2013.

1. girlonfire

Today I made history with myself: I fell out of the closet.

At my school, we don't have "study halls," we have free periods where we can basically go wherever we want. My closest friend at school had a free period with me today, and I couldn't hold it in any longer: I needed to tell her. I had it all planned out, and was going to wait for her in the library when I would tell her we needed to talk and I would tell her in the relative quiet of the third floor hallways.

The first thing went wrong when she didn't go to the library; I had to chase her down with her friends and pull her aside. After that experience (I'm very shy), I got so nervous that words were just tumbling out of my mouth. Then I said the dreaded words, "I'm bisexual," and I ran away. Well, no, walked quickly away.

I talked to her later, she's okay with it and everything, but how do I NOT do that again??

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is either the most unfinished post ever OR the most suspenseful story I've ever read...

Did you do it?

3. girlonfire

lolz. My browser clicked "save" for me. I just finished it.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huzzah. Well I'm glad she was cool, even if you weren't xD

How can you not do it again? Simple!

Well I say simple...it's a simple theory, although actually doing it might prove harder.

You made all these plans to do the right way. Then they went wrong. Once a big step in a plan goes wrong, we have a tendency to spiral into panic, especially if you are anything like me and either forgot to make a back-up plan or like everything to go right the first time!

Stop making such a big plan. The next person? You'll bring it up in conversation at some point. When they are on their own, perhaps you are walking between classes or eating lunch, doesn't matter. Just find a time and do it that way. Don't even build up to it or think "I'm going to tell them today!" or even "I'm going to tell them on the way to class". If you find yourself with someone you NEED to tell, tell them when you realise you have the opportunity. Then you don't have all this build up to deal with. You can't work yourself up with worry and shyness if even YOU didn't know it was going to happen at the time.

Sounds like a pain in the neck, eh? But it does work, trust me.