1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help =/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by combinations, Jun 19, 2008.

1. combinations

Before I post, I would like to say this is my first post :grin:

Okay, so. I'm really confused. I'm in love with one of my friends. He doesn't know, and neither does anyone else. He gets asked all the time if he's gay (because he sort of acts like one) and it's only made it even more weird. He and I were with a friend and he said to me something along the lines of "Yeah we should go to prom together, not together as in together, but just with our dates." And then this got them all riled up again, saying we'd be a cute couple and people want us to go out. Little does he know, I want him to be my date :icon_sad:

I really want to tell him but I don't know what he would say :help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there and welcome to EC!

Maybe you could engage your friend in a general conversation about homosexuality and listen to what he has to say. This might help you in getting some clues as to what his own leanings are. If you feel and you feel that you can trust him, you could come out to him. Maybe he'll come out to you as well. You never know.

Having said this, and from what you have written, its sounds more just a remark that someone made, and I'm not sure if you might be reading a bit too much into it. Let me ask you this: Did or does your friend have a girlfriend?

It is really up to you how you want to proceed. I hope this is of some help!

3. combinations

Lots of people say we'd be a "cute" couple. He has had a few girlfriends but they never lasted past 2 or 3 weeks. My friend asked him when she first met him (I didn't know him then) and he said he had "no experience" with guys so he couldn't really say he was gay. I don't know if this is a sign or something.

4. Poring

How long have you known him?

Also, I do agree with Asteroid about striking a conversation with him about homosexuality, at least then you'll have a slight idea of what he thinks about it.

5. combinations

I've known him since the beginning of the school year, so almost a year.

6. paint

I think it would be a good idea to seek out his opinion about homosexuality, because you never know. But be very careful to not jump the gun. There can be very strong signals that end up being completely false.

and welcome to EC!! (!)

7. Jim1454

Hi and welcome to EC!

I'd say you'd first have to come out to him before you could ever consider asking him out or something. Given that you're not out to anyone, that would be a pretty big step. Are you ready to do that?

If not, it's a little much to expect him to react honestly to you asking him if he's gay, or asking him to the prom, if you haven't yourself admitted to him that you're gay. You need to be prepared for him to say that he's straight, and that he isn't interested in you, even after you come out to him. That sucks, I know, but that's what you need to be prepared for.

But nothing ventured, nothing gained - isn't that how the saying goes?