1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting to know other gay people....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hidden Angel, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get to know more gay people specifically teens in my community? The biggest problem is that my people here are not very open about gays and it is not something that is ever talked about plus my parents don't' yet know I'm gay so going to groups or something could be difficult.... Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Cheese Love

Does your city possibly have anything?

The city I live in isn't that big and through internet searching I found a gay community website with a directory of every local gay organization and such.
    Among all of them was actually a gay youth group, I just haven't plucked up the courage to check it out yet.

Anyway, I found it all through Google so you should give it a try :]

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to suggest joining a GLBT or support group for gay youths in your community as they are one of the best ways of meeting new people but if this is not an option for you, maybe you could e-mail a few groups and try finding out if they have social events during the week or on weekends where you could just join in. I hope this helps!

4. pandafunfun

My school has a GSA club which stands for Gay Straight Alliance. Maybe you should start your own club to meet your goals

5. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Yeah I've talked to people about that but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be going any where fast

6. -Michael-

Maybe just start up the club yourself?

Or put up notices asking for a petition to have a club made?

7. allalone1141

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wow that quote at the bottom of your messages is really cool. "It just is and nothing you can say can make it go away..." That's awesome.

8. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Thanks! Lost and Delirious is like my favourite movie ever, but it's sooooo sad. It's the only movie thats ever made me cry!:tears:

9. wivoyager

Good luck on meeting anyone. I haven't really met any fellow gays in my area and I've been looking for 3 years. A few people (like 2) on facebook have chatted with me, but nothing that developed into a friendship. Being a gay teen sucks, but even more so if you live in a small town.

I will only have to wait 2 more months, then it's on to college, boyfriends and LGBT groups! WOOT!

10. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Here here! although mine is one and a half years but still I can't wait!!!!

11. Uncertain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Kia Ora Hidden_Angel,

Yeah, I totally get what you mean - GSAs in schools aren't big here in New Zealand and Southland just sounds very... small (compared to Auckland).

I reckon you should still try some support group if there's one around your area. They keep things confidential and won't go around narking to your parents. Or else, like someone suggested, start your own GSA.

If you're out, people will come to you sooner or later. Get to know more people, casually bring up the subject of gay people to friends. Sometimes you'd be surprised people around you are actually gay or know someone that's gay. In short, it's worked for me.

Keep looking, but just don't get desperate. If you find someone gay don't rush into a relationship then try and fix it. It should be the other way round, because early on you shouldn't make compromises.

Hope that helped.