1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in a letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dixon, Dec 15, 2013.

1. dixon

Out Status:
    A few people
    So, after weeks of trying to come out to my family, I've decided that maybe I can put my good writing skills to work and come out in a letter. I am wary of this though because I feel like it may come off as being insincere or too cowardly to "say it to their faces". If I do decide to take this route, what is the best course of action? Should I give them the letters and stay while they read them? Or should I hand them the letters when I know I'll be out for a while so that they can process what I wrote and then we can discuss when I come back? Advice is always much appreciated!

2. Gallatin

I think telling them by letters is fine. I know a lot of people go down that route, for various reasons. The good thing about a letter is that you can get out everything you want to say, and not worry about forgetting something or getting interrupted midway through.

Personally, if I were coming out via letter, I'd probably arrange to be gone when they read them, because I'm not keen on the idea of being there while they read it. And as you said, not being there when they read it does give them some time to process it. But I imagine it really just comes down to personal preference. There's not a right or wrong way.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do! :slight_smile:

3. phoebe

telling them by letter is fine. as long as you are comfortable telling them its fine! i think you should not staying the room with them because the whole pint of the letter is you not being there! but its up to you!

4. lovely lesbian

I agree telling them by letter is fine I was thinking of doing that at some point but it just hasn't been the right time for me but you can say all the things you wanna say and then like you said talk about it later.

5. biggayguy

You need feedback after they read the letter. Give them some time to digest what you wrote. Then ask them what they think and feel about it. They will likely go through several emotions before they come to acceptance.