1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to her?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nukleopatra, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Nukleopatra

My mother is very accepting of the LGBT community. She was thrilled when same-sex marriage was legalized here and she doesn't show any signs of homophobia except she doesn't believe in bisexuality :dry:
    A while ago I was talking with my mother about the large amount of LGBT people at my school and my mother said that teenagers aren't old enough to be gay :bang:
    I'm very flamboyant. It's not unusual for her to hear me singing along to Cher in my bedroom and I've got pictures of men all over my walls so I'm wondering if maybe she suspects something but doesn't want her suspicions to be confirmed.
    I'm an only child and she can't have more children so perhaps she's worried that she'll never get grandchildren.
    Should I come out to her as bisexual (not going to bother confusing her with pansexual) so that she can rest easy knowing that there is a chance that I'll marry a woman and have biological children? Or should I not risk it while I'm living with her as she doesn't believe that people can be attracted to more than one sex?
    I just don't want her to be disappointed in me.

2. phoebe

she seems very accepting. i would tell her that there is lots of different sexuality not just gay and straight. explain bisexual and pansexual. then come out to her. i hope it goes well!

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Teenagers are certainly old enough to know they are a certain type of sexual in some cases; what she probably means by "aren't old enough to be gay" is that she thinks it is too early to display gay dating behavior publicly. If you have male pictures all over your walls, and she doesn't realize what that likely means, then you are going to have to tell her explicitly sooner or later. The only question is what you are going to tell her. You might be on the road to discovering that you are gay, not pansexual; you have not mentioned anything about liking girls or pictures of women on your walls, or dating girls. Unless you want to discuss your sexuality with your mother and have her help in resolving what it is, it might be better to think of yourself as simply "questioning" and defer an actual "coming out" until you are more certain about which gender(s) you feel more comfortable with, in case you later decide, after more dating experiences, that you more gay than pansexual.

4. sweetiepi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    just tell her when you're seeing a guy or when you're seeing a girl. you don't need to give a detailed explanation of your sexuality

5. Necrose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As sweetiepi said, at the very least you should tell her when you're seeing someone, guy or girl. Otherwise, I would tell her, but that's me.

6. Nukleopatra

Thank you for all of the advice.
    I am definitely sure of my sexuality. I have been for a very long time.
    I think I will take your advice sweetiepi. At least until I leave home next year. When I leave home I will tell her.
    Thanks again for all of the advice :slight_smile: