1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by plus7, Dec 16, 2013.

1. plus7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OK so Im 22 years old, I have come out to 3 people by now, the thing is that from the millions of post and things I've read about coming out, everyone tends to say that you feel better and that you feel such a relief once you've done it.

Out of the three people I've come out to, not even once have I felt good about it. it just feels so awkward, and even though they are supportive and really close friends, it is just me that doesnt feels comfortable. I have never felt a relief when i have come out to someone. and i feel so sad about it because now im thinking about coming out to my parents but it is because i want to feel relief, im scared to do something i will regret, please hep. has anyone ever felt like me?? :c

2. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just give it time you will feel better eventually coming out is a process that takes time I too felt worried and scared the first time so... good luck sweetie :slight_smile:

3. TheIdler

TheIdler Guest

plus7 I can relate. I just recently came out to my parents and family and they were all loving and supportive, but its been a few weeks now and I'm still feeling somewhat conflicted about the whole situation. Like you, when I first came out to friends I felt awkward and uncomfortable and expected it to be different once I finally revealed it to my parents, but it has not been the case. Having said that, I genuinely believe it's just part of the process, and other people on this forum have shared that they went through similar situations and things changed after some time. I have to be honest though, there are days where I still reconsider my decision to have that conversation but I have also come to the conclusion that it was the right thing to do. Do whatever feels right and if you need more time to have that sit down with your parents, allow yourself that time. In my experience though, no matter how long you wait, the weird uncomfortable feeling will still be there, it's just something you have to work through.

4. clevername96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can't say for sure, because I'm still hiding myself, but I think it depends on your situation and who you are telling that gives you the sense of relief. I had been struggling with who I was for years and when I finally told my best friend what I was going through it was the biggest relief because I could finally be honest with someone and sort out my feelings.

In your case, maybe you aren't as nervous? Perhaps you are more accepting of who you are already so you don't get the same feelings.

Or maybe you just haven't been having the right conversations. To me, there is a difference between telling someone you are gay, and admitting to someone you are gay and really opening up. The sense of relief comes from the fact that you don't have to hide anymore, you can be you. So who are you hiding from becomes the question.