1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still in the closet but using a dating site, will is out me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shy825, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am mostly still in the closet. Only out to one person. I decided to use a dating site to find new friends as I feel quite lonely.
    I recently signed up for a dating site and uploaded a photo and everything. But I am worried that people I know may find my profile and realise I am gay...

At the moment I am not ready for a relationship. So in my profile I said that I am just looking for new friends to hang out with etc (not dating).

But when I filled the form in I put Seeking "male". Could this be interpreted as a straight guy seeking friendship with other lads to go drinking etc or that I am definitely gay?
    I suppose they'd have to do a search like male seeking male to randomly find me first anyway so chances of a straight friend finding me are low?

thanks

#1 Shy825, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello!I think it should look fine. if you need someone to talk to just post on my wall :slight_smile:

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, I would remove the name of the site, 'cause it's against forum rules and you might get banned.

Second, unless your friends are literally googling your name AND the phrase 'dating' how are they going to find you? Sure it's possible, but it is unlikely to say the least...

4. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks. Seems someone has a removed the name of the dating site for me.
    Yea just suppose someone wud have to be searching for me male seek male to find me so I shouldn't worry about my straight friends accidentally coming across my profile.
    So far I have received a few messages. I feel bad for not replying to anyone yet. Well coz in new to online dating and feel nervous about what to say. Also some ppl I don't find attractive...I feel so shallow.
    Maybe I can find a thread here that already has advice for people like me who r new to online dating...
    Thanks