1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to transition, how can i tell my gf?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KayTmayy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    (posted in relationship thread too, i hope its okay to post it here too to cast the widest net of help >.<)
    okay, so tough spot im in...

im 19, male, but want to start transitioning to female (or at least working toward it) and i only have a few things holding me back now.

1. my mother. i tried talking to her about it, i talking another thread about what happened too, so i dont really have any support from her (now) and am thinking about waiting until life at home calms down to even bring it up again.

2. money. without financial support from my mother (or until i find a job) i have no way to buy any clothes, make up, etc.

3. i dont know how to tell my girlfriend... now this is where it gets complicated, and where i really need some advice. im 19, shes 15 (i know, this in itself is a problem, but both our familys are okay with it, her mother trusts me, and i really have no intention of doing anything that could put me in a bad situation) i really care about this girl, and id do anything for her. i dont want to lose her, and right now, being with her seems more important than transitioning. but i still would like to do both, even though that may cause problems. im afraid to tell her i want to transition, for fear she'll break up with me. i just want her to love me for who i am, which im confident she does, but letting her know i feel like being a girl is really truly who i am on the inside might scare her away.....

any advice, talking, anything would be much appreciated...
    thanks in advance... <3

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I'll say is that eventually you will have to tell her. Personally, if I were her, I would rather no about it NOW and have time to understand it before you start actually doing it. At least it shows trust.

If she takes it badly now, she'll take it badly later most likely.

3. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    but then is it worth her taking it badly? i really dont want to lose her, and if it means not transitioning, i think it would be worth keeping her around... i dont know...

4. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In regards to a job, I think you should try to find a part-time one. I don't know if you can swing the schedule with school and all, but maybe you could only work like 15-20 hours per week.

As for telling your girlfriend, I think you should be honest with her. Sure, you could suppress the fact that you're a woman but I don't think it will go away. Holding things like that in will cause you suffering and it will probably begin to adversely affect you all's relationship anyway. If she feel in love with you being yourself then she already loves the real you too. Becoming your true self doesn't change your personality. I hope everything works out for you. Stay strong. :slight_smile:

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well personally, I would have cut the world off to transition had it come to it, because I needed it. If you don't, you don't, that's up to you. However, if you choose NOT to tell her or not to transition, please PLEASE keep an eye on your mood. If you start getting depressed, start thinking about this again. :slight_smile:

6. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks for all your advice and help :slight_smile: i think ill talk with my therapist today just to work some stuff out, but then i think its time i talk to her about it, i do love her, and i think she loves me too, so it should go well i hope ^.^ <3

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like a plan! If she's not sure how to take it and you need some help, let us know!¬

8. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    so, this is really scary for me to write out and explain... its been difficult for me to try and discover myself and understand my feelings... i tried to tell you last night but i chickened out because i was afraid of how youd react. first off, know that no matter what, i still love you, and you come first in my life right now <3
    for a few months now, ive been trying to find out why i dont like myself. and one of the things that really explain it to me (and makes a lot of sense to me) is the gender dysphoria... some thing growing up really kind of point to this, but i never really connected the dots until recently. playing girl characters in games, wanting long hair, asking my mom what id be like as a girl and stuff. and after a lot of introspection ive really seen that the reason i dont like myself is because i dont like that im a boy. i know this is hard for you too, since im your boyfriend, and this is really complicated... but i think that this is the thing to really make me happy with myself, and happy with who i am. im telling you about this because i really want to explore my feelings about it more, but i also dont want to lose you. i wanted to know if you would still love me if i explored this more... and if you really dont want me to, i can talk to my therapist about dealing with it a different way... i understand if youd be upset about this, and believe me, i wish i didnt feel like this, because its not fair to you... if you have any questions about what i feel or what it entails, just feel free to ask...
    im really sorry about all this... i just feel broken as i am... <3

is this reasonable to say?

9. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks good, you def let her know that you love her and want to be there with her. You know you're situation better than I do, but I wouldn't apologize so much to her. I mean, be understanding and compassionate(which you seem to be) but you shouldn't have to be sorry for being the person you were born as. I hope all goes well for you, KayTmayy. Best of luck.

10. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    i have a habit of always apologizing too much... so ill try to look over and revise before i send it... thanks for everything :slight_smile:

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks like a good letter, certainly a lot more apologetic than the one I intended to write to my mum xD But it hits all the right areas, and probably most importantly you've phrased it like something managable rather than some big life-destroying disaster which is a really good thing.

12. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    it didnt go well... she took it really hard... said she doesnt want a girl she wants a man... and she told me not to change and i have a hard time telling her no, and how i really feel, for fear of her being really upset Y.Y

13. DhammaGamer

You're young. If you start hormones now they would be awesome for you. Your high school relationship is less important than your decision to transition. Five years from now you will be very very happy with your decision to forgo any further hesitation.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You sound like you want to. A lot would. Problem is money. Also if she can't accept you for who you want to be, you will find someone else.

I mean it is her choice to want a man as much as yours to be female. Make YOU happy first.

15. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    im not sure how to get started on hormones so easily... i still have work to do with my therapist and stuff >.<
    and yea... i guess on paper, my feelings should be the most important, but she makes me feel so guilty v.v

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "she makes me feel so guilty"

You ask almost anyone the to name all the things they liked about a past relationship I'm betting not one of them said "I like how they made me feel really guilty about things I really needed to do!"

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need 2 confirmed psychiatrist refs and a year transitioned if I recall, you that far?

18. KayTmayy

Out Status:
    A few people
    i need that in order to start on hormones? :/

and yea... so im really stuck still, even after telling her... i really care about her, and if i transition, shes going to break up with me but become depressed at the same time... but i can finally feel comfortable with myself. orrr i can not transition, stay happy with her, but still feel trapped inside.... theres no way she'll accept me i dont think.... but i dont want to lose her :/

19. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone experiences their need to transition differently. Some people don't feel the need to do anything, some people can get buy with little changes, personally (and I must say I find more regularly) people want as much as they can, if not in terms of physical change then in the way the act and the way they are treated.

Now as much as you won't like to hear it (and not would I if our roles were reversed) this is one of those times when the feelings of others have to be ignored. Yeah your girlfriend might get 'depressed' because you transitioned, but if you feel the need to do it and the fear of losing her is preventing you from doing so, her feelings will be NOTHING compared to yours.

I like to see it like this. The pain she will feel breaking up with you is like standing on a nail. Hurts like hell for a while, could cause some lasting damage but they'll get over it eventually. The feelings you'll get if it turns out that the feelings of this one person are stopping you from being the person you are is like me coming over and breaking every bit of you with a small hammer. Little by little, day by day. At first it will just be annoying, tolerable. But eventually, the more I hit a spot, the more it'll hurt. Before long, I've done some damage and I move on to the next bit. It isn't too long before everything is beyond repair.

You might be lucky, you might be one of those people that never needs to transition. If so, then I guess lucky for you, you can stay with this girl. But deep down, you know you're a girl. A girl being treated like a guy. You will find yourself wanting, and damn it you deserve, someone who loves that part of you as well. Someone who thinks that the girl inside you is just as valuable and desired as the body you were dumped in when you were born.

20. DhammaGamer

I started on hormones without a note from a therapist. But I was lucky enough to find a doctor willing to prescribe them on the system of informed consent. Typically you need three months of therapy and a simple note from a therapist recommending the treatment of hormones to get set up. The best way to get the note? Be straight up with your therapist.

"I've decided to start my transition. Could you write a note for my doctor explaining that we've discussed it? I want to be on hormones right away."

If she/he refuses, and does not provide adequate justification for their hesitation, then they are wasting your time and it's time to find a new therapist. You have to remember that this isn't anyone's life or transition but your own. This is YOUR LIFE, this is YOUR TRANSITION. No one has the right to dictate what you can and cannot do with your own body, and you can't stand idly while people stand in your way to happiness. Take control of your own destiny.