1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out on Facebook... Surprising reactions.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheSeeker, Dec 19, 2013.

1. TheSeeker

Hey all,

So, last year I came out to my parents on Thanksgiving, after spending a couple months coming out to my close friends. I decided to wait a year to come out on Facebook. Why? Because... reasons. Extended family and that fallout was one, losing the tons of Facebook friends (especially my christian ones) was another. Another difference was that I was unsure of what label to use. I had been going with bisexual, but after a sexual encounter with a female this past summer (less than interesting) I decided to pretty much go with Gay. Sigh, it's just easier to explain to people and, though my attraction to women remains to a degree, I am decidedly a Kinsey 4 or 5.

So... I came out as Gay, With this message:

Hey all and Happy Thanksgiving! Today marks an anniversary of sorts and I apologize in advance for the length of this post...

One year ago today, several things happened in my life: I celebrated 6 months of being home from the Peace Corps, I had a lovely Thanksgiving with my family, I saw Skyfall in theaters, and I came out to my parents...

That's right folks, I'm gay. Many of you know already, because I told you in person, some probably suspected as much, but the rest of you likely fall on the spectrum between surprised and shocked/appalled. But this is who I am and, as my friends I wanted you to know this.

I am still the same person I always was, I am just more honest than ever before. And you know what? This past year has been amazing! I am so much happier than I have been in the past... Hiding is exhausting, and it was not how I wanted to spend my life.

On this Thanksgiving day, I really am thankful. For the love and support of my friends and family, for my wonderful job and amazing coworkers, and finally for the past year, it really has been the best.

Now, I love you all, but I am also a realist. I currently have 523 friends; I do not anticipate having the same number in the next few hours. Some of you have serious objections to what I just told you. If you care to share these, I will not reply, but I will remove you from this page. Please do not ask me to change, because I can't and now... I no longer wish to. If my nature is an affront to you somehow, please just quietly unfriend me.
    For the rest of you, feel free to ask me questions though, either on my wall or in a message.

This post will remain up for three days, thanks for reading, and I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving!

There was also a picture of Rainbow Dash... With a rainbow behind her... I think they got the message.

Anyway, the reactions were, well, all positive! I guess there was one women who said she didn't approve of my lifestyle but loved me anyway... I responded that it was awesome that I had no need for her approval! She unfriended me... And then refriended me... Yeah whatever. I didn't lose any friends (in fact, I gained 3) and got nearly 100 comments from friends and family. It was a ridiculous lovefest... Why didn't I do this years ago?

Whelp, time to go get me a date...(!)

2. Kin

Kin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reading this really made me feel a lot more positive about being gay, so thank you for sharing your awesome story! I'm currently still in a bittersweet stage of denial and acceptance but reading stuff like this helps bring me to gaze out the closet :3 I'm still trying to bring myself to start a thread but I just want to say hello and thanks again! I'm so glad everyone was so accepting of you! (*hug*)

Ps: Ponies are awesome! ^_^

#2 Kin, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  3. Commenza

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely love that post. Very inspirational.

Also, I'm happy for you that so many people took it positively! That must feel awesome!

(Rainbow Dash is cool, by the way :wink: )

4. hiddenxrainbows

Ha that's awesome! I'm happy for you! Maybe the one woman friended you again because she's seeing how gay people aren't..."evil" or anything, for lack of a better word. Or at least, I hope she's coming around lol Good for you, though. I'm glad they're all on your side! ^_^