1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused now that i came out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by forbiddenlove12, Dec 19, 2013.

1. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I came out to my semi-dad and his response saddened and confused me. He said he didn't think I was being honest with myself and I was only saying I was gay because It's popular to be gay.Now im confused as to who I am now it's really annoying I was wondering has anyone gone through this before?

2. william123

forbiddenlove12, it doesn't sound like your semi-dad is being very supportive. He might be suffering a little bit from homophobia himself. I don't think anyone who at ease with homosexuality would say that it is "popular" to be gay. That sounds like a type of discrimination to me.

Luckily I haven't ran into this problem myself, as most people I have opened up to have been generally encouraging. I wouldn't let his response get you down. Figure out who YOU are and go from there. Easier said than done I know, but just try to feel the support of being who genuinely do care and want the best for you. Coming to EC is a good start in my book.

3. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks I am really upset his opinion means the world to me and this is what he thinks so ..
    :tears:

#3 forbiddenlove12, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  4. william123

Just be true to yourself. I like to think that a strong sense of oneself is contagious. Lead by example, and hopefully his opinion will shift once he sees how strong you are!

5. bdpotter

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly who in their right mind would say that it's popular to be gay. Maybe talk to him and ask him why does he think that, and try to explain him. Of course first of all you need to figure out yourself, have you come out to somebody else, what was their reaction ? If you are young, than don't rush the figuring out, it will come eventually, just try to enjoy.

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is popular to be gay. Or camp at least. Just like its currently popular to be a 'nerd'. Some people out there like to enjoy the few benefits we DO have without worrying about the discrimination and other negative sides.

Having said that, don't let his opinion change yours. You know your brain, he doesn't.

If his opinion matters to you, show him that HIS opinion is wrong. Don't change yourself just to get approval from him.

7. william123

I still wouldn't say it's popular to be gay.

8. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Evidently his uncle molested him so I think that has something to do with it

9. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heyy, try not to take his response too much to heart. He should be proud of you that you had the courage to open up to him like that. It should be a privilege for him to know that you trust him enough to tell him these things. Just continue to be who are you. You know who you are better than anyone else. Stay true to yourself and everything will be fine. It just takes a bit of time :slight_smile:

10. elwood123

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's not 'popular' to be gay (even if it seems like quite a few are coming out). Don't worry he will come around, it just takes time. I came out to my parents over 2 months ago and they still don't think I am a lesbian when I know more than anything that this is who I am.

Also hi GArchi1992 I'm from Lancashire too!!

11. Pat

Pat

Uhhh.. Well, I don't know you to suggest that you are or aren't. The only thing I can say is that you just know...And that if someone can simply make you think otherwise from one statement, regardless of their influence in your life.. then you really should re-examine it and discover where your attraction lies. It's actually very easy to know that you're different.. and I don't even think Oprah could make me second guess it. lol.

12. matty13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to this, my mom asked me this after I came out to her. I think it's often something that parents or loved ones ask, but it's simply because they don't understand it.
    My parents opinions matter a lot to me (it seems the same for you) and if there is genuine love involved, it is likely that over time, your semi-dad will come to understand that it is integral to you and its not just because its cool or popular.
    Very gradually, my parents opinions have altered. They haven't changed completely but maybe one day.
    Just be true to yourself and eventually your semi-dad will learn to understand.

13. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I agree with everyone who says just be true to yourself. No one can tell you who you are but you.

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa, just realize you took a big step, don't take 3 steps backwards. I mean he knows now, that was a major hurdle.

Never doubt yourself, only you know yourself.

15. biggayguy

Your dad thinks it's popular to be gay because many more people feel safe in coming out of the closet. LGBT people aren't cowering in fear so much. I think he is confused not you.

16. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is NOT popular to be gay, it is simply somewhat less likely to get the crap beat out of you when you tell someone than it used to be, and in some states and locations, you are less likely to be overtly discriminated against than you were a few years ago. I wouldn't call that "popular".