1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to colleagues

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by slimred, Dec 19, 2013.

1. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Had my work Christmas meal tonight, followed by a few drinks. Somehow this led to me spontaneously coming out twice!

First was a colleague when we were talking about messy relationships in general. I then said I was more complicated than he realised in this respect and when he asked why I said I liked guys too. He was totally cool with that.

Second person was my boss. I knew he'd be cool. Somehow we got into talking about gay men as a subject and I mentioned that you'd never guess with some people, myself included. There was a pause for digestion but nothing negative. Then I said I was bisexual.

From then the night carried on as normal. I was worrying over saying something for ages and it really was no stress at all. Just happier that's another 2 people off the list who it doesn't make any difference to. It's crazy how we build up all these worries about telling people and having to hide things, but when it's all out in the open it's usually a non issue.

So... Yay for me I guess! Just family and a few old old friends to go now. Don't know if I'll ever bother going public on Facebook, it just seems like such a cliche to me :slight_smile:

#1 slimred, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. sammy1

If u only see these 'old old friends' once in a blue moon then I wouldn't even bother making it your mission to come out to them. The only reason I ever feel the need to come out to anyone is if the subject comes up and I'm feeling brave enough to tell whoever asked and I feel like it is kind of important to tell my parents dfor dating purposes because it's hard to date in the closet, other than that it is none of anyone's business what I like and don't like when it comes to intimate relationships

3. william123

Interesting slimred. Alcohol can be a double-edged sword like that. It can loosen the tongue, which in your case, seems to have helped. When I came out, I had also had a beer or two. But I did it over the internet, as that was the medium that I was most comfortable with. Power to ye!