1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pros and cons of coming out on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ibz, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Ibz

Ibz

I have no immediate plans to do a big Facebook coming out. (I would have to carefully discuss it with my gf first... once you know that one of us is queer, our fb activity makes it pretty clear that we both are.) That said, I guess I wonder what the benefits and risks of it are. On one hand, it sounds great, because you take care of everyone you haven't yet come out to in one go. But it also sounds like it could be awkward. Like, it could be hard to bring up the subject again, since you never had that in-person conversation.

Anyway, for me and anyone else who's interested, what would you say are the pros and cons of a big gay status update?

(and sorry if this has been posted before. Seems like it could be a common one.)

2. forbiddenlove12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually came out via pm on Facebook to my semi-dad. And I wouldn't recommend it I was nervous being around him because I didn't know what his reaction would be so I don't think it's a very good
    idea

3. matty13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are there pros?
    I would never advise anyone to come out on facebook or any social media site. Tell the people that need to know in person and if you really can't meet someone that you want to know pm them.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pro's are I guess that at least its over with to anyone who cares enough to look it up. Saves that little 'I didn't know you were gay' conversation with a bunch of people you don't see very often.

That's probably about it.