1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my closest people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eleni, Dec 22, 2013.

1. eleni

eleni Guest

I am a teenager that lives in a country where homosexuality is not fully accepting. Noticing that my family has the same feeling for the LGBT society how am i supposed to come out to them. I have already come out to my friends so i have their support. But my family is very close to me so i can't hold a secret like this from them. What should i do??:confused:
    Your opinion means so much to me!!

2. Daydream Harp

By "homosexuality is not fully accepted", do you mean your country is simply built on a lot of conservative values or do you mean it's against the law like it is in Russia and India?

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously you'd know better than me since you live there and I've only done two minutes of research on wikipedia, but at the very least support in your area seems to be growing...

As for your family...it really depends what you expect their reaction to be and if you are in a position to do anything about it. I'm all in favour of telling people, but if your life is going to get immeasurably worse for it then perhaps hold off on it...

Are you still living at home?

4. eleni

eleni Guest

umm yes.. i am 17 years old and it will be some time before i leave my house. The problem is the fear i have for their reaction. my parents are not quite accepting especially when they are in favor of forcing the gays to leave the country. :/

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2013 at 02:49 PM ----------

daydreamharp our goverment is not like russia, although there is a political party that "hunts down" the gays and become more powerfull by the days. that is mot the problem, in my point of view it is harder to come out to my family because we have strong bonds than to come out to my society.:/

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Some people change their views when they realise it's happening to someone close to them, others try and enforce their views on that person and try and make them change. Which one your parents will do, I cannot say.

I think what will be hardest for you, is keeping this from your family without anyone noticing something is wrong. It will build it, and you may find yourself trying to avoid discussions or even avoid your family at times. I'm not saying you should definitely come out now, because it seems like that would be hard to do, but I think given what you've told us you will need to fairly soon...perhaps you should consider working out a temporary plan for what to do when they find out and react badly.

6. Huma

I'd say, don't come out to them yet. Wait till you're independent. I'm 20 and in a similar situation.

7. eleni

eleni Guest

ElliaOtaku, thanks for the advice! :wink: you are really helpfull! <3

---------- Post added 22nd Dec 2013 at 08:13 PM ----------

Huma it will be difficult to continue like this and i have already considered that. But having a secret like this i feel like i am acting to people that i love so much..

8. Huma

I know girl. I'd cheer for you! :thumbsup:

9. sammy1

10. Pete1970

So there are 2 people that i am worried about coming out to, my sister and my best friend.

I thought my sister could be ok with it but then i saw on Facebook where she liked the comments that the duck dynasty guy said

Nowi know my best friend is "old school". The other day he asked me if i thought this girl we know was hot. In the past i would have said yes just to not draw attention, but i dont want to do that anymore so i said no. He said he was starting to get worried about me. i said what do you mean and he held up his arm and did the limp wrist thing.

I know my sister will find out eventually especially once we get divorced but she lives in Florida so its not like i have much contact with her anyway

11. Huma

My thoughts exactly.

12. Bradley97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am lucky to live in the UK and have a very liberal family so coming out was no problem, I would say that if there is a risk to your safety then to wait until you are financially independent.

However, now that I have come out I am of the mindset that my sexuality is insignificant and really not important - I feel no need to tell anybody else. Perhaps taking this approach might take some of the pressure off but it depends on your mindset.

It's not the same but having friends on the forums and just knowing that you are not alone is great.

Usually the main barrier to accepting LGBT issues is religion - look at your parents beliefs and other relevant factors and perhaps raise the issue indirectly through news/current affairs to gauge their reaction.

13. asimpleguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You shouldn't rush in coming out if you aren't ready. You don't have to tell to anyone unless there is really a need to or unless you are ok with it. If you really want to tell someone, think who you are closer to and will be easier to tell.

14. eleni

eleni Guest

thanks guys those replies made me think this differently! you have lelped me a lot.. i love you all..