1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xBrightEyes, Dec 22, 2013.

1. xBrightEyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my friends in the past year, and this week came out to my parents after conversations where i felt they would be accepting of me. At first they seemed fine, said they had always known and still loved me. Over the past couple of days they have started saying they are upset, shocked, sad they won't *see their daughter be a bride and become grandparents etc etc*. This really upset me as the last thing i wanted to do was let them down or upset them. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and how you dealt with it, as now I don't know what to do.

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't "do" anything. They just need time to work through it and accept your new status. They will figure it out after a while. Just be patient.

3. Liz

Liz

They'll come around :slight_smile:. It must be really painful to hear that from them, but hopefully they'll get over themselves and realize how upsetting their words were. Don't feel bad about yourself as you have done nothing wrong; it's their expectations that were fixed on something that is beyond anyone's control.

Also, depending on where you live in the world of course, it's not true that you can't get married or have children, if that is ever something you want to do in the future.

4. Silver Sparrow

They are probably going through the stages of grief (there's a post about it somewhere). You can still get married and have grandchildren if you desire to.

5. sometimebefore

You can try to reassure them by telling them that you can still marry and have children. The only difference would be that your spouse would also be a 'bride.' You could adopt, or even bear a child through artificial insemination. If they seem to hung up on losing the opportunity to become grandparents and/or in-laws, you can tell them that. Hopefully, however, they will come round on their own.
    -Clara