1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I wanna start coming out to some extended family...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Jun 21, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

Okso here's the deal:

I wanna come out to a bit of my extended family. Not like...second cousin's ant's great niece twice removed kinda thing, but my just parents sisters and brothers, and one pair of cousins who im very close to.

Now, one of my aunts on my moms side knows [and thinks its a phase but whatever] and no one else does. Im more hesitant to even try with my other aunt and uncle, because i know that my moms side is very very old-fashioned, so I wanna be creful that this bit of news doesnt spread like wildfire, you know?

Now my dad's side. I know nothing about them, in regards to how they feel about this subject. My dad passed away 6 years ago this september, and when he was alive, we only went to see my family a few times, but i was really young, so i dont remember it much.

After my dad passed, my mom made sure we stayed in touch with my dad's side and now we see the ALL the time.

I do know that my dad's side is a more open-minded bunch than my mom's side. For example, when i went vegetarian, my moms side was sure that i was gonna get really sick from malnutrition, and my dads side embraced it wholeheartedly, and said only positive things about it.

But of course, vegetarianism and my being gay ae two veeeery different things.

Im gonna ask my mom if she knows how they feel about it, but i was wondering if theres anything else i can do to find out how they feel about this, without outing myself.

In total im planning to come out to 8 people. 4 aunts, 2 uncles, and 2 cousins. Thats both sides.

Also, if/when i come out to "insert person here" and tell them "please tell no one else, etc" do you think thats enough to keep it from the whole family finding out when im not ready for that?

gah, i dont know >.<

2. Davey

well i admire your courage to even be out to your mom i haven't found a way to tell mine yet. but it sounds like your Dad's side will be just find with it. if your family truely loves you they will love ya no matter what. i hope things go well for you and sorry to hear about your Dad even if it was 6 years ago i'm sure its still a little rough.

but again i admire your courage and hope the best for you!
    ^_^