1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell more people? What are your experiences when first coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alex K, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Alex K

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So far, only one person knows. And that's my best friend. I told him about two months ago and everything went really well. It was a very surreal day because until then, everything I told him were just thoughts in my head and now someone knows. The funny thing was that I wasn't planning on telling him that day. It was just after one of our classes at school that he asked, 'what do you wanna do?' and I felt like going outside and telling him. Anyways, I knew he would be the one person to tell and even then it took me almost an hour before I could even say anything to him and then another forty minutes before I actually told him haha. I find it really funny how I made him wait so long because I couldn't say it. What a patient friend. He didn't push me to say anything. He just waited because he knew something was up after I didn't say anything for ten minutes. I'm glad I told him and I'm a lot happier now that someone knows because I can talk to him about it. But should I tell more people?

I told him because I constantly felt alone and down and it just felt like a good time to. I think I'd like to tell more people but at the same time I don't. And right now I don't. When I think about telling other people I feel like I can't trust them. If I tell them and ask them not to say anything, then they could say ok and tell another person in confidence and then it just spreads. I told my best friend because I never doubted his confidence. And he's the only person I can trust 100%. And I kind of like that only he knows. He is a really good friend because he knows that I feel lonely sometimes so he gets a little flirty with me which makes me feel better. If everyone knew then some people might treat me differently or look at my differently. For instance, in gym class, showering would be a problem. Personally, I really don't care about seeing other guys showering. I'm indifferent but they might be uncomfortable with it. My best friend is in my class and he doesn't try showering before or after me. He's fine with it.

This is my last year at high school and I don't know what I would benefit from coming out. I'm going to have to take a girl to prom and I'm going to have to be the one to ask. I don't want to take a girl but I don't want to take a guy either. I feel that next year in university I'll be more open. Like I won't advertise it but I'd hope to have my first boyfriend and be comfortable around more people knowing I'm gay. Have you felt like this? Or did you just tell a small group of friends? What are your experience when first coming out/being in the closet?

2. Jks115

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I too had a situation similar to you, I've only told one person, and that was my best friend, earlier this year, although it took me a lot longer to have the courage to tell him, so well done. He came round mine in the afternoon and we sat and watched TV and played COD for hours before I finally told him. And that was, I think, the third time something like that had happened, where I'd planned on telling him but never went through with it.
    Like with your situation, he wasn't too bothered about it, and he was very accepting and willing to talk to me about it. Although I also happen to have strong feelings for him, but that's another matter.

As for now telling other people, I'm not too sure. I'm in my second year of university, and this year I am living away from home. Right now I wouldn't consider telling anyone else I know at home, some would probably accept it but others in my circle of friends might be a bit different, and I'm not really that bothered about them knowing. I've also thought about telling the people I'm living with at uni but I'm not too sure if they'd accept it. There's quite a bit of "gayness" that goes on at times, as someone mentioned in another thread, it's probably because they know there is no sexual motivation behind it. Sometimes I feel that if I tell then it might make them realise that just because someone is gay doesn't mean they have to be extremely flamboyant or exhibit stereotypically "gay" characteristics.
    I know some of my other friends at uni will be accepting and won't be bothered, but I'm not really fussed with telling them either at the moment.

I guess the point is, it's entirely up to you, if you feel comfortable telling other people, you believe that you can trust them and that they will not treat you any differently, then definitely consider going for it. But at the end of the day it's completely up to you. It's all down to whether or not you feel you need and/or want to. For example, with me, I felt I needed to let my best friend know, and I plan on telling him how I feel about him in the near future. But as for everyone else (everyone else that I know will accept it that is), I don't really have any burning desire to let them know because it, well, I just don't feel that I need to.

Hope all this helps, sorry for such a long post too.

3. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to tell more people if you don't want to. It's entirely your choice. If you feel comfortable about it, and want to tell more people, then go right on ahead. Your friend sounds like an awesome person who will be able to keep it a secret until you decide otherwise.

I can speak a little bit from my experiences. For me, I came out to about three or four people within a month. I had been dying to tell someone, because I'd known for years that I wasn't totally straight. Last year, I ended up finally telling one of my best friends the day before Thanksgiving break. We were in choir, and she was bugging me about who I was crushing on and why it was such a big deal for me not to tell her. So, I said it. She had a bisexual boyfriend before, but I was still unsure of how she'd react to me. Thank goodness, she took it really well. It still took me another two weeks to tell her the name of the straight girl I was crushing on. After that, I just felt guilty that I wasn't telling my other close friends. I ended up telling the next two people on the same day, and was shaking throughout the entire day because of it. After that, it got easier and easier to say it. My best friend, who I'd known since we were two, even guessed it. Months later, when I told my parents, it was all over. I didn't care who knew. Now, I have friends who come to me for advice on their sexuality. I can talk about girls and no one cares. I feel more like myself.

It does get easier to talk about once more people know, I'll say that much. You don't have to tell anyone at a certain point though. Just let it be on your own time. Anyways, this was a long post, but I hope everything goes well for you!

4. Foster

I haven't come out to allot of people. When I first came out to my sister I was scared as hell. You have to do it when you're ready. You have to love and accept yourself first. There will always be people that will feel uncomfortable around you, and people who will dislike you. You have to be able to say "This is who I am, and if someone has a problem with it, that's their issue and not mine". It's really tough, but god it can be so relieving too. Even though I'm still scared about the future, I have people by my side who love me for me. That feels really good.

Build a support system. Not everyone in your school or life needs to know right away, but if you really feel like you can trust a friend, it's a nice thing to open up to them about, and it can really bring you closer to the people in your life. All and all, do what feels comfortable. You'll know when the time is right. Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. eleni

eleni Guest

umm this is a difficult case.. look i really live in an different country where proms are not quite important.. well firstly it is necessary for you to go there? if you go there it possibly means you will take a girl (so as not give anything to gossip about) and you might not feel quite comfortable with her.. now if you take a boy, everyone will look at you strangely (this is what you feared about) bt in the same time you will not feel so uncomfortable because you will show everyone who you really are! there is a third choice you have.. not going to the prom. you can go out with friends and have a great time together.. the choice is yours.. i hope i helped you.