1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email to best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Black Swan, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Black Swan

Lately, although I've come out to my closest family no probs, I've been feeling like I need to tell my closest friends. Unusual as it is, I chose to come out to family first. I have to people I know in my life, who I would want to know my secret. Firstly, O, my bestie at school. We've been really close for four years now and I know I could trust her (and her family) with a lot. The problem is, I've heard her being slightly homophobic quite a few times, and she strikes me as someone who would take a while to understand the LGBT+ community. On the other hand, she is very trustworthy and I doubt she would let our wonderful friendship spoil over this.

My other friend, M, is a much older friend. I've known her for about 7 years, and we are very close. We went to different Secondary Schools, but have recently reconnected. She is pretty accepting of the LGBT+ community, and sort of told me that she was gay a while ago. The problem is that since a year has gone by with no contact, I'm not sure if I could trust her with a secret like this. Furthermore, her family is very conservative and might not want us to hang out if she told them. Since her and I keep up a regular email correspondence, I could come out that way but I then fear that my sexuality would become the elephant in the room in real life.

The other issue with O, is that I'm not ready to come out to my entire school yet, which can happen via the domino effect.

So, I'm a little stuck. Can I trust M, or O? Will O be homophobic? Will M be trustworthy? Can I tell both, or neither?:confused:

2. asimpleguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not sure what you mean by M sort of told you she was gay. But if M told you , then you can probably be open to her. A gay person can definitely understand another gay better.
    As for O, if she is trustworthy, I doubt she will tell this secret to anyone else in the school. Have there been incidents where O spread out something to a large number of friends?

3. Black Swan

M came out in a bizarre way, I posted about it a while ago. For all intents and purposes, she's queer. And I've never had an issue with O, no incidents. But she is kinda homophobic, though I try to pull her up about it.

I trust them both, in my heart. I'm just scared of taking the next step.