1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kenmax, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Kenmax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've thought a lot about telling my parents I'm bisexual, but I always back out with the fear of what they might say. Yesterday I came as close to do it. I made a letter and almost gave it to them. Would put it here but it's in spanish so yeah. I feel like I'm ready to tell them, I just don't know if I should and it's all I can think of.

2. p0cketchange

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It all really depends how open your parents are. If there is any chance that telling them would pose as a danger to you then you should really wait. However, if they're on middle ground or open to the idea then i would go ahead. It all depends on how you believe they would react.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! :slight_smile:

From everything you have mentioned, you are ready to come out, and let them know. Going the letter route is a good way to come out.

Have they ever said anything that could give you an indication as to how they might react or what they might say?

4. ninerw

Dude, I wrote a letter as well and it is just sitting on my desk waiting to be opened. I share your hesitation. It does sound like you are ready because you know you need to come out to your parents.

Good luck man!

5. Chlo98

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Im going through the same thing. I think that writing a letter or email is best because you can re read through what you've put and add things in where as in person you might say the wrong thing by mistake. I think if you've been able to write a letter you're probably ready but there's no rush :slight_smile:

6. Kenmax

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

They never have really talked about the topic specifically, and from what I've seen it looks like they're not against it but don't agree with it, it that makes any sense. And part of me thinks that they would be very supportive, but another part of me thinks that they wont.

And I'm glad there's other people going through this. Not that the situation is a good place to be, but it makes me feel less alone that people are feeling like I am feeling right now.

7. The Spark

The part that thinks they'll be supportive is what you need to focus on. The rest is just anxiety and apprehension.

8. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two people that came out through letters: Me and my friend (J). We both had kind of the reaction from our parents. They didn't like that we came out. I can't say for J, but with my mom, she wished she had never known. All in all, both mine and his parents came around. My mom; however, is still holding out thinking I will change. The things with most parents and humans in general is this: If some obstacle comes our way that directly affects us and we don't quite know how to deal with or look upon then we will find some way to cope with the situation at hand and change our views.
    Point is that if parents truly love their child, they will do whatever it takes to create that type of loving relationship between the parents and the child.