1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right age to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by skeletons, Dec 26, 2013.

1. skeletons

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm 14 years old and I'm gay. I'm sure a lot of people doubt that I know what my sexual orientation is yet, but women have never been appealing to me and men have, so...yeah. I've thought about it a lot (and I mean seriously spent hours and hours thinking) and I've come to the decision that it's who I am and I want to be open about it. My parents aren't a problem. They don't know yet (no one does), but they are extremely supportive people and they don't even care if I'm gay or straight. They'd treat me the same either way. I'm nervous about coming out to them...I wanted to know if I should. Should I wait a year or two? (Am I too young to come out?) Or is it okay now? If I am at an acceptable age, how should I come out to them? I'm especially afraid to do it in person, as I've never been good with communicating something so complicated in conversation.

2. The Spark

There's no wrong age, to answer your question. Whenever you're ready.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're sure that this is who you are and that your parents will be supportive, I see no reason to wait. I came out in person and it was awkward and nerve-wracking but I can't imagine having done it any other way. I went over the conversation in my head beforehand and figured out how I would respond to some of their questions, which helped a little bit.

Good luck and congrats on accepting yourself!

4. skeletons

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks. I've read a few stories of parents not accepting their kids sexual orientation because they're young, so I was a little bit worried. I guess I'll come out to them soon.... I was thinking maybe new year's eve? That way I could spend the entirety of 2014 out of the closet.

5. The Spark

Yes, that's a great idea! Good luck =)

6. skeletons

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you so much. I don't mean to pester anyone with all these questions, but I'm a bit confused about how to bring it up in conversation. Any help with some sort of leading question to get the convo started?

7. confused1234

I came out to my parents about two weeks ago via email. Like you, I was concerned that I would have trouble expressing myself in a face-to-face conversation. I was also concerned about how awkward it would be, even though I knew they would be perfectly fine with me being gay.

You seem to be a very good writer, so could you send them an email or write a letter? It's certainly less personal than doing it face-to-face, but the result is the same.

8. The Spark

I think in person is the best way to go. You could bring up how many states are legalizing gay marriage and how that makes you feel, and go from there.

9. biggayguy

Is there a gay-straight alliance at your school? You could mention wanting to be involved with the club if you aren't already. Is there a pride event where you live? You might mention wanting to get involved.

10. skeletons

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's another scary thing about coming out to them- we don't have a gay-straight alliance at my school as far as I know, and there's not too much going on with pride events here either...Can I tell my parents to keep it a secret for now or should I let them tell who they want to tell? I don't really get bullied at school very often (I'm pretty lucky when it comes to avoiding that) but I'm sure if people knew I was gay I'd be bullied much more, and I really don't want that to happen. There are some pretty brutal people at my school.

11. There is no right age to come out, but you sound pretty sure of your sexuality. I agree that you should definitely tell them in person. I came out to my mom over text and it was super duper awkward. Do you know if there are any lgbt support groups where you live? Maybe another school in your area has a gay-straight alliance you could attend. You should come out to your parents, but don't let that pressure you into coming out at school. You can come out to just your parents and then come out at school when you're comfortable, which could be 2 months or 2 years or whenever. Good luck!

12. Chlo98

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is no right age some people come put at the age of 9 some at the age of 50. It is whenever you are confortable with yourself and are happy telling other people :slight_smile:

13. djone12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If your comfertible then go for it my mom dosent know but i told my frends at school and any one who ask thay seme the most exsepting