1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintaining friendships?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by citygal55, Mar 18, 2007.

1. citygal55

I'm curious as to how your friendships have changed, if at all, after you came out? What about relationships with family members? If you have lived your entire life as straight, isn't it kind of awkward and weird to continue as if nothing is different?

I feel that a lot of girls are very supportive if their male friends come out, but thats because many (I know I'm stereotyping here, but please bear with me!) of these guys were their shopping partners, gossip buds, etc BEFORE coming out--so it wasn't really a surprise. I know because I have tons of gay guy friends, and we do a lot of stereotypically girly activities together. But guys, what about your straight male friends? How did they react?

I'm especially interested in hearing about how girls who came out continued their relationships with their straight girlfriends. Basically all my friends are straight girls and I am betting it would take A LOT of convincing to get 99% of them to even believe me if I suggested I might not be entirely straight! What are your experiences? Another thing--any of you have a best friend who has made homophobic remarks? What happened after you came out?

Thanks in advance, and again--to everyone here, thank you for being super nice and supportive!

2. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I've only come out to 2 different people so far. It was a bit awkward at first, wondering if I should just act like nothing is different or what. Now though it's no big deal and there's no awkwardness between us. Nothing has really changed with our relationships.

Most of my friends though I'm not so sure would actually believe me if I told them I was gay. I tend to joke around a lot, and they would probably think I was just joking again. Should be interesting when I do come out to them. One is a major homophobe though, so I'm not so sure if I actually will be coming out to that group any time soon.

3. Rain33

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ive come out to guy friends and girl friends. The girls handled it very good. Actually since coming out i have gotten closer to a few friends. The straight guy friends i told didnt have any problem with it. They said that it doesnt matter.

4. who am I

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I haven't lost any friends but i have made new ones aswell since coming out. It were hard at first, but i had to accept myself that i were a dyke before even considering telling my friends and family. After telling people that i were dyke they werent really that bothered just a few odd comments and jokes. I just have a big personality so people dont need to ask whether im a dyke or not because i let people asume what i am, I am happy with who i am to let anyone bother me.

:biggrin: :thumbsup: :lol:

5. boarder25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh come on there. Don't call yourself names. I don't go around calling myself a faggot. It's good to not care about what people think of you, but that doesn't mean you should call yourself names! :lol: