1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going on a trip with a few people I don't like.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rocking23, Jun 23, 2008.

1. rocking23

On Friday, I will be going on a trip to Spain for 2 weeks with my Spanish Class, I'm really excited! The only bad thing is that there are some people that I don't like and if it couldn't get any worse, I have to be in the same house (we are staying in Spanish families) with one of the people I don't like. He as well as the other people I don't like are really big a**holes and they like to make stupid little comments and remarks at me.

I wanted to know if you had any advice (hence the post) as to how I can get through the trip (with them) or how I can lay down the law and show them that I'm not going to let them ruin my trip.

If you are wondering, there is one person who I know and I can call a friend who is going but she is in another house.

Thanks

#1 rocking23, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if you know Spanish then you can do everything independently, without the need of being around him all the time. Go to places, socialize with people. I guess there will be a Spanish boy of about your age living in the house; try to get to know him. And if the guy you don't like makes those comments, repeat to yourself that you're better than him and ignore it. That usually works.

If things get nasty, I guess you could report it and get transferred to another house / have him transferred. From what I know about those trips, you always can.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You might find that this person might act totally different when he is away from his friends. You might get to know him on a new level and things could improve between the two of you. Of course, I'm an optimist. If the torment continues, I say report and ask to be moved.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was my experience actually. People do change. On a five day school trip to the Alps (that was a long time ago) I had to share a room with one of my class mates that I did not like because he was the one who always made fun of me and told me nasty things. I wasn't thrilled on the prospects of having to share a room with him. But his behavior and attitude towards me completely changed. I got to know a completely different person. So yeah, it is possible for people to change and it is possible that you might get to know a different side of him. Often people do things just to show off in front of their friends, and to be 'cool' but once they are by themselves their behavior changes.

If you find that this is not the case, and as Fred and Becky have mentioned you can always ask to be moved.

Enjoy the trip! :slight_smile:

5. Louise

As others have said, it might not be anywhere near as bad as you fear, don't forget this person will be in another country, far from his family and will probably be feeling as vunerable as you and will look to you as an ally rather than someone to make miserable.

If worst comes to the worst and he is disagreable just look him in the eye and ask him what makes him such and ***hole, or if he simply gets off putting others down (that is a sure sign of insecurity by the way.)

Good luck on your trip, have a great time and if needs be just ignore this jerk, interact with the family you are staying with to get the most out of the trip and pretend this other guy is a bit of disgusting **** that you walked in and need to wipe off your foot.

6. rocking23

Great advice everyone! Thank you all!

You are exactly right.

Last year he and I sat next to each other in science and he was nice, he's only rude to me when is friends are around.

Once more, thank you all! I will take it all into consideration!

7. Leigh

Leigh Guest

hope your trip goes good!!!

8. Uncertain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, not a single person is wholly good or wholly bad. It subverts stereotypes and you shouldn't stereotype or label him. However, his capacity to be good does not mean he's changed or become a different person - it just means you haven't seen that side of him yet. Of course, it could go the other way and show he's actually more of a dick than you think. So, just be careful.

However personally, if there's someone who treats me inconsistently like that simply because he's proving something to his friends, I'd say he isn't a decent guy. What I mean by that is it shows his insecurity. And it highlights the fact that his 'good' side towards you only when he's not with his friends ain't genuine enough. Because if he really is a good guy and likes you as a person, he shouldn't have to make compromises regardless of whether he's with his friends or not.

Hope that helps and makes sense. Just trying to pull things apart from my point of view.

9. rocking23

wow!

your point of view is the best ive seen EVER! that makes like 110%!
    Thank you so much for the post

if he pesters me, i will bring that up as a way to tell him off

THANK YOU!

10. Uncertain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No worries, haha glad I could help.

Enjoy yourself and enjoy the trip! =)

Make sure to tell all of us how it went.

11. geiger42

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    just learn lots of curse words in Spanish and use them indiscriminately.

could be fun!

12. panda

Bon Voyage..:smilewave

13. StraightGayGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Have fun on your trip!