1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my grandmother?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Etak, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Etak

I want to come out to my grandmother as homoflexible, because I'm seriously sick of asking me if there are any boys I have my eye on, and because I want to go into the new year completely out of the closet. I know that she'll love me and want me in her life no matter what, but she is really, really conservative. I mean, when my mother was growing up, she wouldn't let her date a black man. I can't exactly imagine that me telling her I want to date girls will go over well. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to tell her?

2. Emberblaze

Well, is she still as conservative now as she was back in the olden days? If so, it probably WILL be hard.

But, the key word is that she'll still love you and want you in her life no matter what. So, I think that it's good for you to go along with it. But just don't let any harsh words she says get to you. Just meet them with love and let her have time to process it.

It usually takes time.

3. You just got to keep reminding her you're the same person you've always been. She might have a hard time with it, but women tend to be more open to things. Plan it out well and watch what you say. Doing it suddenly might catch her off guard. Maybe try to discreetly ask her opinion on things like gay marriage, gay rights, etc. and see how she reacts. Does she every use gay slurs or react negatively when homosexuality is brought up in the news or in a conversation? If she reacts positively, I'd go ahead and tell her. If not, I would just keep it to myself.

4. Etak

First off, thanks to everyone that replied.

She never uses gay slurs, and I've gotten her to say that some people are gay and that's OK. I've told her about my friend that I'm fairly sure is in the closet, and she agreed that it would be better if he just came out and stopped hiding. My mother and my grandfather both cautioned me that she would react badly to me, though. I'm really scared of her reaction, but I can't keep lying to her. We've always had a very open relationship, and having that secret is making me not feel as comfortable around her.