1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expectations, reality, hopes

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Simple Thoughts, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Simple Thoughts

I'm curious, and I figure it might help those who haven't come out get a better sense of what to really expect from coming out.

How did everyone Expect coming out to go?

I expected a not very good reception given the area I live in personally. It's sorta small town, and very redneck influenced -.-'

How did you hope it would go?

I just hoped to get it out into the open and move on with my life personally, I didn't want it to be a big deal good or bad.

How did it actually wind up going?

Not too bad, once I made things public about who I was most people were very supportive, and more than that the few people who weren't started coming around :3

Anyways...I put this up here so people can get a sense of connection with each other. Maybe we all shared the same fears and worries, maybe we all had similar hopes for when we came out, and some of us might even share a common reception story. I think it never hurts to get the conversation rolling ^.^

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexuality - I didn't think anyone would care, and nobody cared, although having said that I didn't really TELL a lot of people and I didn't have a partner to flaunt around so most people probably aren't even aware.

Gender - Really, really badly. It actually went better than I thought in some cases, and much much worse in others.

3. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I didn't expect my friends to care much. As for my brothers I had no clue.

I hoped it wouldn't matter much and things stayed normal I guess.

brother got use to the idea and my friends as expected gave zero fucks (except for like one or two). I haven come out to my mom yet.

I think this is a good Idea, good going:slight_smile:

4. Rainbow Girl

I have had all really good reactions so far, some way better than except some on a par.

5. Silver Sparrow

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. I guess I thought it would be pretty easy coming out at (arts) camp, pretty easy to come out to my GSA, a little less easy to come out to my friends, and I still haven't come out to my parents, so I'd say terrifying.

Obviously I would hope it would go well, but I expected some awkward reactions.

Camp: perfect, no one really cares.
    GSA: perfect
    Friends: pretty good, some minor awkwardness

6. Simple Thoughts

I'm glad you liked it. I was hoping it'd end up being helpful ^.^

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2013 at 11:10 PM ----------

That's good! It's always nice to hear when someone gets a positive reception :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 29th Dec 2013 at 11:11 PM ----------

The point is to make a comparison between our hopes/fears and reality.

7. MightNeedThis

I figured my friends would be a little surprised, maybe not sure how to handle it. I expected some awkwardness, especially in the adjusting period that happens.From my sister and brother I expected a bit of the same, but more support instead of silence. From my mother, whom I haven't come out to yet, I figure it'll be a bit awkward support, but support none the less.

From my dad, who is the most in the dark, I don't know what to expect. Maybe a lecture on how sad my life will be? but still, support more or less in front of my face, but worry behind closed doors.

I just hope I get support and people don't let it seem like things have changed.

From the friends and little family I've come out to, it seems like I'm the only person who was surprised by my bisexuality.... and I don't know how to feel about that.:eusa_eh: