1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I say?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alexander, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Alexander

I want to write a coming out letter to my parents, but I don't know what to say or include... There's going to be PFLAG stuff attached and a couple religion vs. gay things for them to read, but I don't know what points I should cover specifically. Advice/suggestions?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You've got the educational part covered. I would just suggest that you talk from your heart. Tell your parents how you really feel and how long you've known you were gay. Invite them to ask questions and tell them you are the same person you were before. Tell them that you love them and they deserve to know this important part of who you are. If you've never had sexual relations, make sure you tell them that and tell them that when you do, you will take utmost precautions to ensure your health and well-being. (we parents worry about that!) Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I second what Becky says, especially the bits about partners and health. I would also make it clear that you're certain about this, and I wouldn't put anything in that they might pick up to mean that it's just a phase. I'd emphasise that everything is still the same, and that you love them. Perhaps think of what they might ask you, and perhaps try and answer some of these questions in your letter (although they may ask you them anyway).

The letter is your chance to tell your parents how you feel, before you move onto conversation where you may be interrupted, or arguments or disagreements may come into play, so if there's anything you really want to say, I'd put it here.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Louise

I think short, caring and to the point is probably best. Explain that you have done a lot of soul searching that you know deep within you that you are homosexual, you realise this is a shock for them but you are still the boy you were yesterday, that you love them and you need their support.

Don't apologise, you have done nothing wrong.
    Do make it clear that you want to talk about this and you will wait for them to bring it up once they have discussed it amongst themselves.
    Do tell them what you are scared of ie; them rejecting you, not loving you... whatever

In this way they will be able to calm your fears and see that you have given this a lot of thought.

If they do come out with silly things like 'It's a phase' 'How can you know, you haven't had a girlfriend', just be indulgent, these are stages that most parents have to go through on the path to acceptance.

You didn't accept yourself right off the cuff, you had to think about it, understand, look for answers, well your parents will probably have to do the same so be ready to answer any and all questions however silly they may seem to you or however embarassed you might feel.

A 'silly' or 'offensive' question for you might be a real worry for them. I was terrified of saying the wrong thing to my son and pushing him away from me or back into the closet when all I wanted was to understand and help him.

Try to put yourself in your parents shoes when they are reading this letter and make it as kind but firm as possible leaving no doubts or false hope.

Good luck.

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I agree with all the previous posters and beckyg hit it on the head. Just write what you are feeling and not some precanned script. They are your parents, not an audience of different sorts.

Make it clear there is nothing wrong with being gay, which means no apologizing. But be sympathetic at the same time which will allow them to see that its a fact that they didn't know about you. Parents always think they know everything.

So be yourself, thats the best advice I can give you.