1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to kids

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Pete1970, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Pete1970

I haven't seen too many posts about coming out to their kids. Mine are 13 and 16 and the time is fast approaching to tell them.

So I was wondering from anyone that has done so or from anyone here whose parents came out to them, how was it done, what were the reactions, what was the ultimate outcome?

Thanks

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out to teens is harder then coming out to young children because of, if nothing else, the school environment they find themselves in. I don't want to make you feel bad, but I've never met a bully who was above picking on someone because their dad was gay.

Part of me wanted to leave that bit until after I've given you some advice, but then I thought better of it. I've chosen to leave it at the top of the post because I want it to be clear that this is one of those rare occasions were it DOES potentially affect them. Tell most people you're gay, and it's not that big a deal, but it can affect your children and you want to be prepared for it. Obviously you do or you wouldn't be asking for help!

HOW you tell them is theoretically simple depending on what you intend to do. If you are just telling them that you're gay, it's a sit down conversation, takes 20 minutes probably with a couple of questions (in theory)...if it's a "I'm gay and leaving your mother and also you remember my friend dave from the gym, well he's your new daddy" kind of thing probably needs a bit more work...

I've always found children to be really accepting of things like this, especially when it's someone they love. I mean, you are when all is said and done, still dad. You still love THEM after all, and you being gay isn't going to make you like them any less.

I suppose it really depends on your next moves!