1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to the rest of the family (longtimenosee)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Zam, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't have a large expanded family,two of my grandparents are not in my life,one died LONG ago,I have one uncle and one aunt and a cousin that I have never seen,the rest of my family has really never been in contact with the rest of my family.

My mother's family is a big bunch gossiping rather rich people and my dad's family is small

My mother asked me whether I would tell my Grandmother,Granddad,Uncle and Aunt that i'm this fabulous.I don't know what to answer,because I don't give a damn about what they think,they have never been part of my life and they live in a conservative country and they are going to despise my parents for making me gay (lol)

I don't want my mother not to tell them because I don't care what they think,but on the other hand I don't want these people to give my parents a hard time and talk shit about them in my country of origin.

What do you guys think?

2. North

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's... a rough situation.

If I was in your shoes, I'd sit down and talk to my parents about my worries. Maybe they have some of the same worries. If you guys can all come to a consensus about what to do together, it might be better than all of you trying to figure out your own way to do this. I'm definitely going to talk to my parents and aunt before coming out to my super conservative uncle O_O

Above all else, just make sure your parents are comfortable with how your extended family might feel about it. Like you said; you don't care, but your parents might.

I hope this helps :confused: Good luck!!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I'd just say no.

"What, those people I have literally no contact with? Why would I contact them now..."

It's not like you're obliged to tell everyone you know...

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just tell the people YOU want to know; they will tell the people THEY want to know.