1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with people outside of my inner circle

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mathnskating, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Mathnskating

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just recently came out to my family. I fell in love with my best friend, and got tired of denying what I've known for years. My closest friends and family know, and everyone has been very supportive. Most people just exclaimed "FINALLY" very loudly at me.

All of the support has been more than I'd hoped for, and I love all of my family and friends for it. I think it has been a horrible year for me, and people are just happy to see me start to feel more comfortable with myself.

I'm very anxious about other people though. Facebook makes things so public. I never realized how obvious my SO and I are. I mean, I should have realized it earlier, but I didn't. I run my own tutoring business, and my business is connected to my facebook, and I have clients, and my rabbi is on my page. I know it will be more obvious as time goes on, because I mention her all the time.

I'm legally blind, and have experienced discrimination from that since I lost my vision. I'm terrified to be even more of an outcast. I already have trouble with friends, and jobs, and everything. A huge reason I ignored my feelings toward women for so long was because I was so afraid of being even more different from everyone else. I'm not outgoing, I don't like to stick out in a crowd. It took me months to get used to bringing my guide dog into a grocery store because I felt so conspicuous. I still shy away when people shout at me about my dog, or when I face other things. I stand up for myself a lot better than I used to, which is good. I can fight back if I have to. I just hate doing that, and possibly doing it more scares me.

Any advice on how to deal with it? What to expect? How to deal with other people? Thanks :slight_smile: