1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend wants to come out...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lauren15, Jan 3, 2014.

1. lauren15

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Nearly three weeks ago, my best friend came out to me. We were just hypothetically talking about what we would do if either of us were gay. So I just came out to him-- I trusted him and all that-- and he sort of just looked at me for a while. I asked him if he was okay with me being gay and he said "of course, considering that I am, too"

The problem here lies with the fact that he's got a girlfriend that he's desperate to get rid of, but she scares him to death.

He wants to come out and he wants to know what to do in this situation.

Anything helps!

2. MightNeedThis

Mind if I ask why she scares him to death? Obviously he needs to break it off with her, and that isn't ever easy. Is he close with her friends?

One tactic that might work to break up with his girlfriend could be to do it at her house. Have him sit her down and tell her the honest truth, because she deserves to have that much. If she has a family member home that doesn't stick her nose in their business that should be fine, if not maybe wait until she is home alone, then call a friend of hers after to check on her. Is the problem that she threatens suicide? All you can do is arm him with the knowledge that it wouldn't be his fault, regardless of how guilty he might feel. Leading her on would always be worse, and the longer it goes on the worse it can be. [and if he needs someone to talk to on their front and if he's on here i'm happy to talk to him - I had the same problem what I was young.]

3. lauren15

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well she's sort of a violent, angry person. She's very revengeful-- she will do anything to get back at someone who upsets her.

I will tell him this, thank you very much!

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Break up with her first, come out later. She does not have to be told why he is breaking up with her, only that it is over. Straight people break up all the time; it is no big deal.