1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally came out to a friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kin, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Kin

Kin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I finally came out to a friend, it wasn't ideal but I felt like I couldn't hold it in any longer, I told him on Monday (as I said I would in an earlier thread), along with two of his friends (more on that shortly) and he took it extremely well, he's gay so I didn't think he'd be anything but supportive but he's gone out the extra mile, he's been amazing and I'm just really grateful to have him in my life right now.

I planned on coming out to him on Monday in private but he invited me over to meet two of his friends and one of them asked me if I was gay or straight (I was in the company of a straight woman, a gay woman and a gay guy, so it was a reasonable question under these circumstances) and I just felt my eyes well up as I told them, that even though it's not the ideal time and place, that I was gay. Their response was overwhelming in that they responded the way I could only hope others will, they were really casual about it and it was a nice (albeit unusual and unintentional) ice breaker, I got on really well and my friend was fine with it.

I feel so relieved, I kept this secret in for too long and telling someone felt like a huge weight lifted off my shoulders! I feel like I can really be myself around my friend, he really is the sweetest guy I've ever met. I know I've got a long way to go before I feel like it's a natural part of me, but I thought I'd share this update with you all! It feels like I'm making strides with my sexuality, it's been a dirty secret for too long and I hope others have such an easy time coming out to their first friend/family member!

Thank you for reading, I'll be sure to update you as things happen! (&&&)

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fantastic news Kin! Well done! (*hug*)

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup: Glad it went so well for you, Kin.

4. OhSOCurious

Congratulations! I'm glad you have such courage. The first time really eases the process for when you want to come out to others. The fact that you were able to do it infront of a group is awesome. Congratulations again!