1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Bring Up the Courage to Tell Parents..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by onlylyrics52, Jan 4, 2014.

1. onlylyrics52

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For the past few weeks, I've been ready to tell my parents about my sexuality. However, every time I try to talk about the subject, I get very nervous and I just can't speak.

I don't think that my parents are homophobic or anything; I'm pretty sure that they'd accept me for who I am. I've always had a hard time talking about things that meant something to me or my emotions. I'd spend time in my room going over what to say and how to say it, but when it gets to the time to actually say it, I just can't..

There's been a multitude of times where the opportunity was there, so it's not like I just didn't see the time fit.

2. StephenSC

Part of me wants to say that if your trying to come out but are having such a difficult time, it's likely that your not ready and you should give it a little more time. However as your profile dealy says your out to "All but family" I think this could be a little different then not being ready as you've already told other people.

I'm still in the process of questioning my own sexuality so have not dealt with the idea of having to come out as of yet, so can offer little experiential advice. Three thing come to mind though.

Firstly and most obviously... Just keep on trying, rehearse what you want to say so there is less "thought" involved in doing it when the time comes. Remind yourself there is no need to be afraid or worry it's likely that fear, even if it's subconscious is what is holding you back.

If your sure and ready to do it but can't bring yourself to say the words or get overwhelmed when you try to perhaps you can write down what you want to say. Then take a chance to ask them to sit down with you because you'd like to talk about something (or however you want to go about it) and read it. There is a chance that writing what you'll say to them will be therapeutic for you for starters and may give you the courage/encouragement when the time comes to say it.

Or perhaps lastly you could actually write it in a letter and give it to them. Obviously don't slide it under the door and take off for a week or anything like that afterwards. Maybe just highlight in it the fact that you've had a difficult time bringing it up with them but would like to talk to them about it you feel ready. Chances are the second they know you will have a lot less difficulty talking to them about it.

I don't know if any of that is for you or not, everyone is different after all. I think the most important thing is find a time, place and method that you feel safe and comfortable to talk about it in and you will be fine. I'm sure in time you will figure out how and when. Like I said this isn't an area I've dealt with but they are a few thoughts I can provide, hopefully someone with experience can offer you some further advice. I wish you all the best.

3. SixesAndSevens

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in a very similar predicament. I'm almost certain that the reaction will be complete support from my parents. In fact I think it's almost an unspoken understanding that I'm gay anyway. It's just that when I think about talking about it, I get a big knot in my stomach and I feel like hiding away. Just like you, I've never found it easy to talk openly about my strong emotions. It's only in my darkest moments that I've talked about depression for example. JassonSC offers good advice that I can take note of too.

I ponder whether or not to tell my parents individually and if so, who to tell first. Then who tells the other? I just don't like the idea of all the fuss about my sexuality. Maybe you feel the same? I know it's something I'm going to have to do eventually, I just always think I'll feel better about it another day. So far that day hasn't come; you just have to really push yourself (when you're ready of course) and get it done with I suppose.

4. Jwis

That is some good advice above. I recently came out to my parents, let me share what worked with me.

It was pretty simple actually - I asked my parents if we could talk about something important, I needed their advice on something. While this was a little lie it gave us a time and place to sit down and talk. While I'm sure they has some apprehension as to what we were going to discuss I think it also alleviated their fears that it was something bad.

When that time came (it was over 24 hours since I asked them) I was forced to discuss it (my exact intention). Or I would have had to come up with some other story... I didn't give my self time to come up with one either, and it worked, at least for me.

Whatever you decide, good luck! I'm sure you will feel a lot better after you come out to them. I suspect at least that a large burden will be taken off your shoulders, which also feels awesome.