1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by medusalily, Jan 4, 2014.

1. medusalily

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm bisexual and I'm only out to a selective few friends (i.e. my best friend, my best friend's cousin who's also bi and the school counsellor.)
    I really want to come out to my parents but I don't know how to.
    My mum, who I've talked to before about things like this, is accepting of LGBT people but she's likely to tell me it's just a phase or be dismissive of me. (I'm 13 and people seem all too ready to dismiss adolescents.)
    My dad is definitely accepting and I think he'll be super supportive but he seems to be under the impression I'm a lesbian.
    How do I come out and just tell them? I'm really uncomfortable with holding back the real me but I'm also really socially awkward so it's likely to be clumsy and awkward if I just come out and say it.
    Any ideas/suggestions will be much appreciated ♪

2. Emberblaze

Just tell them that this is who you are, that you like both males and females. Just have to assure them that it's not a phase. Tell them that you know that you're relatively young right now but you're sure of your identity

3. Kittykatlove

Yeah I agree with Emberblaze... Just tell them and it will all be okay. I remember when I told my mom I was bisexual and my mom replied that she is also bisexual which was kinda awkward but I know I can really talk to her about stuff. I haven't came out as a biromantic Homosexual to her yet though just waiting for the right time:slight_smile: hope this helps!