1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dilemma: Potential Half-Acceptance, Half-Intolerance

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Plutanan, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Plutanan

I've discussed coming out on the forums before with my plan to wait until I graduate high school then tell my parents. Others backed me on that unless I wanted to tell them sooner. And lately, I've been thinking of telling them because I feel loved and I don't want them to feel like I couldn't trust them.

I feel good about my mom and dad knowing. I don't think they'll react too badly. My dad doesn't mind gay marriage (it would be wrong to say he 'advocates' or 'supports' it, but isn't of the 'let them be miserable like the rest of us' type so it's strange). In the wake of the Phil Robertson issue, he said that he felt Robertson can say what he wants and A&E can do what it wants which made me feel better.

My mom also seems fine. She's let my gay friend come over and I've never heard her say anything against LGBT people (though I know she feels strange about and uncomfortable talking about same-sex attraction; she has a few gay acquaintances and is comfortable around them except when they comment on guys X'D). During the Phil Robertson issue, a friend of hers posted on FB the scripture relating to "man shall not lie with womankind as he lies with mankind" and the biblical penalty is death. My mom told me she thought that was very harsh.

Neither parent has a ringing endorsement of homosexuality (and I don't expect them), but they seem like they'd be okay. You're thinking, "Then tell them!" The problem: they're divorced. And the stepmom is a entirely different story.

My stepdad is okay so I won't discuss him. My stepmom though ... My last bit of fear of coming out early to my parents rests with her. I don't want her knowing because I know her opinions. I've heard her say that she thinks LGBT have mental issues or rather that being LGBT is a mental disorder. As well, my sister has a lesbian friend who came over once and my stepmom called something "gay" (really, in a benign way) but noticing the lesbian friend, said "I'm sorry, I mean, that's lesbian," which then turned the situation to rude/offensive.

I really wouldn't feel comfortable living in the same house (I visit my mom/dad equally). As well, I have a little half-brother and I feel that she wouldn't want me around him alone or something. I just fear the worse. And I'd hate to move out from my dad's because I love my mom and dad both.

Sorry for the length but does anyone have advice? Would it be wrong of me to ask my dad to not say anything to my stepmom if I tell him? Would it be wrong of me to ask my parents to keep my sexuality to themselves? I'm not ready to be completely out yet, but I want them to know. I just fear the other half of what I might meet by coming out to my family: intolerance under the same roof.