1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why don't my parents just ask me if I am gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shy825, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't get why. I am in the closet still but I am sort of comfortable with myself and hope to find a boyfriend asap. But what I don't get is why my parents don't know? or won't talk to me about it.

I have told my parents that I am feel down and depressed but they don't seem to realise what it is about. I just don't know why.
    I keep telling them I feel lonely and have few friends but yet that doesn't seem a big enough hint to mean I have no gay friends. I keep saying I need to move out and start living my own life and make new friends. My mum just says you don't need many friends. Most people just have a few close friends and thats it.

I use to be camp when I was little but I have grown out of being camp and act manly now. But surely as my parents who watched me grow up they should know!??! :bang:

I have come close to telling my parents I am gay. Especially when watching TV soaps where gay characters are involved. I just want to say I am the same as that character. Like in the current episode of Eastenders (for those of you in the UK lol).

I dunno if telling them will help much. As my life is pretty much in my own hands, I have get out there and meet gay people and find myself a boyfriend. Not my parents.
    But for some reason I'd be happy if they knew why I have been feeling down lately and atleast I'd could talk to them about some of it.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They won't ask you because none of those things make you sound gay...

But also, when most people ask their children if they are gay they get offended and say 'FUCK no' even if they are! If you want them to know and you want to talk about it with them, YOU need to tell them.

The only way they could 'know' is if they'd SEEN you be attracted to another male, or more likely a whole bunch of them.

3. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Maybe they don't ask you out of respect, and don't want to make you feel like they are interrogating you? Just like you wonder why they have not asked you, they might be wondering why you have not told them. It's possible they just want to give you space, or perhaps they don't ask you just because they have no idea.

It seems like if you want them to ask, is because you want them to know, so if you feel confident and secure enough, maybe you should initiate the conversation.

4. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you! I told my mum about a recent rejection I got off someone who I really liked. But I didn't say he or she. I just said someone. My mum just assumed it was a girl straight away and still does. It just doesn't seem to cross her mind that I could be into guys.

I am 26yo btw. About 10 years ago I remember my dad saying to my mum "our son is gay" because my dad saw me playing Final Fantasy X (computer game) and he's probably stereotypical and thought that a straight guy wouldn't be into a game with some girly elements in it. He said it quietly in the room next door but I heard it. My mum replied "no our son is just young".

Yet my dad to this day has said to me if I want to date I will have to ask girls out. so again he's treating me as straight.

Maybe they are in denial and with me being their only son (i have two sisters) they are hoping I'd have my own family.
    I guess I shouldn't expect them to ask me. I'll try telling them sometime. Maybe once I have moved out.

5. GArchi1992

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can totally relate to this. For years I wished my parents would just ask me out right but I figured it would be as awkward for them to ask me as it was for me to tell them. Much like you, I kept telling my parents that I was depressed, and they kept asking me why. But I never had the guts to just come out to them there and then. So many missed opportunities but it's probably one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do.

After I did eventually come out to them (via a letter) they told me that they had often wondered, but didn't want to offend me in case it wasn't true, which is pretty respectable I guess. To be fair, I wouldn't dream of asking anyone if they were gay, especially if they weren't noticeably camp.

Overall, if you want them to know. The best thing to do would be to tell them. That way, it's out there and you can talk to them about it. Believe me, talking helps a lot.

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I am in this situation right now.

7. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not something that a lot of parents want to bring up. Whether they're okay with it or not, they probably figure the conversation will end up being really awkward. Plus, the examples you gave don't seem like dead giveaways that you are gay.

I think the best thing you can do is tell them, just so you don't have to hide it anymore.

8. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

From my point of view, I think that you being already 26 years old, you have somewhat of an advantage. You are a grown up man, and mature enough for your parents to understand you will be fine.

I am 37 and have not talked to my family yet. They probably already know, or at least suspect it, but have never asked me. I have decided that I would tell them only if I enter in a serious, formal relatioship with a guy. The way I see it is: why talk about it if I have nothing to show for it? Now, this is only for my specific situation, and don't mean to imply that it should be the same for everyone.

Anyway, if all other aspects of your life are going well, then perhaps you could leave the conversation with your parents for a later time when it feels right.

9. Aldrick

Because they aren't mind readers.

Then tell them. If you can't say it out loud, write a letter or send a text message.

Asking them to guess what's wrong until they get it right is silly. They can't read your mind. You actually have to vocalize your feelings and thoughts. People actually find this rather frustrating, and are more likely not to ask questions as a result.

10. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What Aldrick said. My former partners parents weren't mindreaders either. They did ask her, but only because she took me with her when she visited her parents and told them we were going to continue to live together now that we'd both graduated. (They already knew I was her roommate in college) Although we tried to avoid any public displays of affection, her mother sensed that we acted like a couple anyway. We were afraid of coming out to them for fear of how they'd react, and they were afraid at first of asking because they didn't want to offend us if we weren't. Surprisingly, once everything was out in the open, they treated me like a daughter in law, even though we couldn't legally marry.

I wouldn't suggest you go that route though, because not knowing your parents or your age or whether you still live at home, they might not have a positive reaction, and it's not good for your future boyfriend to have to be accused of turning you gay, or other crap. If I had it to do over, I'd have sent my parents a letter, but hindsight is 20/20.

11. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey I feel exactly the same. If I was in a relationship then I'd definitely have the confidence to tell my parents but at the moment I have nothing to show for it.
    But having said there I guess you don't need anything to show for it, it would just be nice if my parents knew and were supportive of me. So at least I could talk to them about it.
    But yeah personally I feel the way as you do at the moment

12. Aquaman

Aquaman Guest

Is it causing you any kind of distress or anxiety not being able to share this with your parents?

13. lovely lesbian

Maybe they are waiting for you to tell them instead of coming up to you and saying are you gay? Just out of respect for you

14. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometimes. But after having the urge to tell them and I end up not. After some time I feel glad I didn't. Because in the short term I don't want to deal with extra stress.
    I already have other things I need to concentrate on. Like the recent rejection I got from a gay guy that I really liked. Worrying about still not having been intimate with another person at 26 years of age. Still got that bridge to cross.
    Also my new job and I don't think I can handle anything extra in the mean time as that might affect how I perform at work.

yeah your right. I guess I shouldn't feel any anger towards them for not asking me because they might be waiting for me to say it instead.

15. chivalrous

This is so true!!! Happened to me when i was younger! maybe you just have to act more fabulouuuusss :lol: jokes dont take my advice it most likely wouldn't suit your situation

16. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    acting camp on purpose? hehe
    This reminds me. When I was younger and acted camp. My dad once told me off for doing that hand gesture that stereotypical gay guys do- the flap of the wrist. I still didn't know I was gay back then and just felt really upset and cried in my room after.

Another time he laughed at me. When I was sat talking to him and my mum. He suddenly started laughing and was saying to my mum how I acted so girly when I spoke :frowning2:. My mum just denied what he was saying and told him to stop.
    Still I was young back then and I think I had only started to question my sexuality. So this really upset me too.

One time we were watching a TV soap and the storyline had a gay son in it. My dad mentioned if my son was gay I'd kill him. again i was really young back then.

i think the situations that have occurred with my dad when I was younger, didn't help me feel confident about my sexuality and hence coming out to them is more difficult because of things he's said in the past.

Also in high school when I was young - two male teachers were walking towards each other during break and I was walking past in-between them. They both did the wrist flick gesture at each other. I dunno if it was just a joke between them or because I had so happened walked past. Again I didn't know I was gay back then.
    And another time a temporary PE teacher asked me if I was wearing make up once. Again I was too young back then and didn't think I was gay.

all makes sense now though. Don't get me wrong...I am not upset by these things anymore. I am 26 a grown man with a job.

#16 Shy825, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  17. The Lost One

Hi,

As I'm not completely out of the closet, I'm not going to pretend I know much. However, after having spoken to my parents, a friend, and my sister-in-law about why they never asked me, their response was basically 'out of respect'. My mom figured I would talk to them about it when I was ready. I'm not sure when that would have been (I'm 34). So my father basically forced it out of me last April. They were very cool about it. I think what made them ask me is that they can tell I'm not exactly happy. However, they thought I was carrying on a relationship with someone in a different province and they wanted to let me know I should bring him around to the house just like my brothers' significant others (I wasn't seeing anybody, by the way). The point is, it's an awkward conversation to have. I have a friend I've known for 10 years...pretty sure he's gay. Even though I know I am, I just don't think I can bring myself to ask him. Too awkward! So, you see...people probably know. They just don't want to embarrass you or rush you. Anyway, good luck...I know how hard it can be to tell people.

P.S. As for your father, my dad has made a number of comments about 'queers' when I was a kid. I noticed these comments petered off once I was in my 20s. I think people's attitudes change over time. I know his did. So, even if your dad has seemed not overly supportive, you might be surprised.

#17 The Lost One, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  18. Shy825

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi The Last One
    I see what you mean. I have a cousin who's 36 and I am pretty sure he is gay. But yeah I would never ever ask him. But then again I think his parents should. His mum keeps introducing women to him and he's never agreed to go out with them more than once. Just always seems uninterested. I feel sorry for him. I think if my mum did that to me, like set up a blind date, then that would be the pushing point where I'd definitely come out without a doubt.
    I just don't know how my cousin manages it...maybe he's not gay i dunno but i am pretty sure he is. Tbh he seems very Asexual like he's not into any kind of relationship.

its interesting to hear about your dad. My dad has also not said anything bad about homosexuals for many many years. The last time was before I was 20 i think. Maybe he's changed his views on homosexuals too.

My mum was a little homophobic in the past as well.
    But recently i don't know how it happened but we were having a conversation about gay celebrities. My mum seemed fearful of them and said they are crazy and not normal.
    But I said your wrong, they are born that way you know quite angrily. She then said yeah its not wrong, just think its unfortunate for them.
    so maybe my parents do see it differently now.

19. Laura15

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They probably won't ask you as they might want to let you come out on your own terms.

My mother asked me if I was gay, and I was incredibly upset as I wanted to wait until I was ready.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Why don't you just go tell them their probably waiting for you to say something