1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by writeawaytheday, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Okay so I want to come out to my therapist...
    any how-to advice???

2. agraves

I have no advice, but I'm interested in the responses you get as I'm in the same situation.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi! Just be honest with your therapist. All I said to my counselor (who was actually the first person to whom I came out to) was that 'I like guys,' and the counselor picked up the conversation from there and told me it's perfectly normal. After that we kept talking about it for a while and it helped quite a bit to make sense of it. So yeah, just be honest. Say (for example) that you like girls or that your are questioning your sexuality (if this is the case) and you would like to talk about it and get some advice or help. Good Luck!

I hope this helps!

#3 Mirko, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To your therapist? Both of you? Why the heck doesn't your therapist know? Not telling your therapist things like this is like not telling your doctor about those chest pains and vomiting spells. They need to know everything that's going on if they're going to make an accurate diagnosis and help you along the way. Otherwise, his advice may not be all it could be.

How do you tell him? Next appointment, at the outset, say "I need to tell you something before we go any further. I'm gay/bisexual. I'm sorry I haven't told you before, but I've been working up to feeling comfortable enough to tell you. Obviously, I'd rather nobody else know this until I'm ready." IF that's too hard, write it out and hand it to your therapist as you walk in.

Lex

5. LOVEjames

When I came out to my therapist, I just met with him one day, and after we got our coffee and everything I said, "I'm gay." - and he said, "Alright. Do you want to talk about it?" - I responded that I didn't, but I'm glad that I got it off my chest.

I do have to agree with Lex, but in a little less harsh way (no offense, Lex). I understand how hard it is to come out to your therapist, because it feels like, or at least, in my situation I did, is one of your closest friends, if you're close with him. So don't really worry about not telling him, if you feel guilty at all, then just say that you're sorry for not telling him, but you were still working things out for yourself.

6. panda

For years of going to various therapists and shrinks I never mentioned it. I wanted to but never could.
    Then finally last summer ,with a therapist that I felt comfortable with I said that I liked having sex with guys.
    That admission made me feel a lot better, got me thinking in new directions,and got me to EC.
    Just say it. Your therapist is there to help and guide you.
    Good Luck!!:thumbsup:

7. Ok well I just started seeing my therapist not too long ago...and the second thing is that well i am sorta seeing her for grief problems.
    Soo it makes it a little bit more difficult to lead the conversation in the direction of my sexuality.
    I just felt that it would be easier to communicate if she new almost everything about me.

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice so far....all of it is appreciated!!!:slight_smile:

8. LOVEjames

Well, don't really make the direction go into your sexuality, but just say it. :slight_smile:

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your communication with your therapist would definitely be easier if she would know about it. There is no question that it is hard to say it in particular if you feel that it would be difficult to make a link between your previous session and your coming out to her. Admittedly, it was hard for me to tell it to my therapist as well because I had the appointment for a completely different reason. But ask yourself, does it really matter? There is a reason why you want to tell her. The more open you are about yourself, the more helpful your sessions with your therapist will be. At least this has been my experience. Hope this helps.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>no offense, Lex.

None taken. :slight_smile: It's just that I believe that if there's anybody that really NEEDS to know this information, it's your therapist.

Lex