1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister-in-law is a lesbian. What about me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Skaros, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My step-sister is an open lesbian and recently got engaged. Well, my parents are fine with that, but my step-dad doesn't like what other people will think of the family. He accepts his daughter, but worries about the family image. My mom also seems to accept her, and other family members do as well. But I just feel as if me being gay will overwhelm them. Having 1 gay child is enough, but 2 gay children would put them under too much stress maybe? Together, we are 6 children. 3 children on my mom's side, and 3 children on my step-dads side. 5 boys and my step-sister.
    I just don't know what to think of this. What do you all think?

2. MatthewJS

well, she is your step-sister and you both aren't blood related. so I think it doesn't really matter if two of the 6 children are LGBT. what only matters is being accepted and loved from family. Also, there are other boys in your family that can have wives!

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " I just feel as if me being gay will overwhelm them"

It would only overwhelm them if they think of being gay as being some hideous thing that should never happen to anyone, like a serious disease. For the sake of your step-sister and yourself, you want that to change.

More to the point, you ARE gay, they have 2 gay children whether they like it or not, you can't keep it from them forever and make your life worse just because someone else got there first!

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thing is, my mom is very picky. She probably isn't that concerned for her step-daughter because she's not blood related. But my brother married a woman who isn't Greek. They had two babies, which makes me an uncle. My mom complains about the fact that she's not Greek. (Not in front of her, of course). I worry what she would think about me not even being straight. Since I'm Greek, my culture really doesn't want to mix with other races. Imagine what she would think about homosexuality.

5. MatthewJS

Skaros, for some reason, the part about your brother marrying a non-Greek woman sounds alot like My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

hmm... your situation is kinda difficult because if your type of culture about not mixing races and your mother's view on homosexuality. Cant you date a Greek man and have a Greek surrogate mother?

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My cousin has a daughter and son that are both gay but loves them but every much she even went to her son's wedding .
    I think for most of us maybe our parents might be upset at first but if they love us they will get over it . Lol strange is i'm worried about this too just like you are and don't think my mom will get past it but i'm preparing myself for all the anger i'll get thrown my way .

7. My mother has a coworker who has two "children", a man and a woman, both homosexuals and married (stable union, call it as you wish). The only thing about this family is that the mother constantly jokes about having the right amount of sons and daughters-in-law.
    Don't worry. If your parents lovingly accepted your sister, they'll do the same for you. And the shock might even be less, uh, shocking this time, I suppose.

8. bitheway7

Tough rocks for her. She needs to come to terms with the fact that her kids will not always go with the decisions she would. And love her kid anyways.

9. TheGuardian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, if you're comfortable with it, maybe you could talk to your sister, she might be able to help you prepare yourself, perhaps motivate you. AND IF your parents happen to disapprove, you and your sister will still be closer and supportive of one another.

Hope this helps some.