1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by turntechGodhead, Jan 7, 2014.

1. turntechGodhead

So, only my sister and a few friends know about my sexual orientation. I was going to tell my mom, but before I could she told me that she couldn't love me if I was pansexual. I don't understand why she couldn't my sister is bisexual and she doesn't have a problem with that. I'm afraid to tell her now, I'm also very afraid to tell her about my being genderfluid, only one friend knows, not even my sister does. I don't know what to do. . :help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that your mom said that. Take it one step at a time. You have already started building your support network, which is pretty good. I would suggest that you continue building that support network so that it becomes stronger, and you can rely on it, if and when you need it.

Do you have a couple of more friends to whom you could come out to? Maybe also think about whether you would like your sister to know. It seems that she would be a good person to come out to.

Your mom's preemptive reaction could very well be an indication of her own fears and worries. I doubt that your mom would ever stop loving you. You already know that your mom accepted your sister, and that is something to hang on to.

Once you do come out, it could very well be that it will take some time for your mom to fully process it all, and understand it. When the time comes, give her the time that she needs to adjust her own understanding of, and dreams for, the future. She might go through the five stages of grieving/loss, which will lead her to come around to it.

In the meantime, as mentioned, keep building your support network, and surround yourself with friends and family members who support you. It will help. (*hug*)