1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell Her

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itsonlyrelative, Jan 11, 2014.

1. itsonlyrelative

I have this friend that I have known since freshman year. We have gone through four "Hell Weeks", tons of awful high school drama together, and tell each other practically everything. She really supported me through my depression, after I got home from the hospital, and during my recovery.

I have thought about coming out to her, but I am worried that she may think I am joking or not take me seriously, because we have friends that constantly joke about being "done with guys" and we have one friends that plays softball that teases the stereotype with a lot of insensitivity.

I also worry that if I come out to my friend, she will realize that I had been lying about the crushes on girls I had denied in the past and get mad at me

I mention more about this in
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/family-friends-relationships/120007-ive-denied-before.html

I really want to tell somebody, but I don't know if that is the smartest thing right now.

2. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Do you know if she's supportive of the LGBT community? When I came out my friend I found out what he thinks about LGBT people before I told him. Regardless, if you plan on telling her eventually, I feel you should see how she feels about the subject beforehand.

3. itsonlyrelative

I'm not really sure. She grew up in a Catholic household, but she isn't really religious. I will probably test the subject with her a bit more.

4. phoebe

This is what i did with my friend, who like yours helped me through depression and self-harm, I started talking about gay rights and marriage so I could see how she reacted and what she thought of it. Then I (stereotype i know) started wearing flannel a lot. I also got rainbow bracelets and gay pride stuff. She then became suspicious, when I told her she wasn't surprised and was able to digest it easier. Good Luck!

5. itsonlyrelative

I recently ordered a "Legalize Love" bracelet and I am waiting on it to come in, so once it arrives "Operation: Test LGBT Level of Acceptance" is a go:thumbsup:

Thank for the advice (*hug*)

6. bitheway7

If you're having trouble coming up with a way to test the waters, you could use the shitty gay marriage stripping Utah governor as test material.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I don't think you need to worry about that your friend will think that you are joking, or that you were lying about having crushes on girls. In fact, I wouldn't necessary call it lying as such.

It all comes down to as to how comfortable you feel in coming out, and with her knowing. It sounds like that you can trust her and that she has been very supportive in the past. These are usually good indicators that things should be fine.

That said, if you want to test the waters a bit more before mentioning anything, go for it. It will also give you a bit more time, in getting ready and becoming more comfortable. :slight_smile:

8. itsonlyrelative

Thank you