1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How fishy is it for my dad to bring up gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RGX Guy, Jun 28, 2008.

1. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

I went to a ball game with my dad. It was fun except he wanted me to catch baseball and I couldn't even get the baseball glove on. Lmao.

Thank gawd a ball didn't come my way I would have gotten the crap hit out of me.

Anyway. We're walking down the street and he spots a couple ahead of us. Both were short and slim but one was dressed like a girly punk and the other was dressed more masculine but also punk. The butch one was like a tooth pick. There is no way he/she was over 100 pounds.

My dad goes ''is that a lesbian couple'' and I had to look all over because I was busy texting so I was oblivious to the world. And he spent the longest time trying to figure out if it was two chicks. I didn't really care so I went back to texting. So then he brings up the gay marriage thing in (Cali?) and something that happened to this lesbian couple about people gettingauthorities involved because they didn't like them kissing or something like that.

So I'm like ''uh huh. Oh yeah that sucks. Yeah I heard about that. Mhmm'' you know stuff like that.

I thought it was weird because that's the first time he's ever mentioned gay stuff and I haven't been involving him or anyone else about my gf status since like 6th grade and I'm going to 10th and I'm not the most masculine guy.

His comment also shot a red flag because that's a topic people have been suggesting to bring up to coax a person into revealing their sexuality.

Was he trying to see if I was gay?
    I'm bi and closeted if you haven't noticed.

Its hard and time consuming to type all this on an itouch I deserve some cookies. Lol.

2. Jebs

Eh. Who knows. He probably brought it up because of seeing the couple and recent events (California and such). It might have just been on his mind and wanted to chat about it? It doesn't seem like he made it an agenda. Similiar thing happened to me a while back. Hmmm.. Was about 16, sitting at home with my dad watching tv and an HIV awareness ad came on. When it finished, my dad looked over at me and started talking about 'not-being gay' and 'finding a hot chick' and 'not understanding how other guys could find other guys attractive'.

It was just on his mind in the back burner I suppose and the commercial spurred him into coversation. I wouldn't look to far into it.

3. Uncertain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If he didn't make rude remarks but simply stating facts, I think he's testing the waters - which is GOOD which shows he is open to talking about it. It probably means he's waiting for your opinion before disclosing his own

If he did make rude remarks about gay people - then it's probably just a spirit of the moment thing. He saw the couple and simply made comments about it.

4. Trumpetplyer23

Gay marriage is something that a lot of people talk about. I mean, before I knew I was bi, I held the same position of fully supporting it. I know quite a few straight people who are pro-marriage.

About masculinity. Masculinity does not define the man. The man defines the masculinity. So you don't know how to put a baseball glove on, does that make you less of a man? No, it just means you're not sports-oriented.

Honestly, though, if he was trying to figure out if you were gay/straight/bi, I think he would have choosen a different set of questions than that.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you have worry about anything. Seeing the two females together, he remembered some of the things that he heard or read about around the issue of gay marriage, etc. He probably just thought about it and brought it up. Being in the closet will lead us often to read a lot more into comments than we would otherwise and we start interpreting them and trying to figure out what they mean. If it happens again, just see it as another conversation.

#5 Mirko, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well whether your dad did it on purpose or not, it does sound like he has an open mind which is GOOD for you! :slight_smile:

7. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

I thought I was probably looking too far into it. That's me for ya. Lol.

8. LostAddict

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really it depends on what your relationship is like. From your post you made it sound like you're kinda distant from one another. He doesn't really know a whole lot about you, I would either think that a) he's trying to find conversation, he's trying to somehow get a good conversation with you or b) he's testing the waters. He suspects it a little bit, and is maybe trying to give a hint that "hey, I won't mind if you are."

9. elliot

elliot Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    who knows what the mardigra age limit is(going down years not up)?

10. speedofsound

Hmmn. Maybe he's just trying to get himself to accept the possibility of you being into guys, if he's picked up on it.

11. RGX Guy

RGX Guy Guest

Lost addict and speed of sound you're probably right.
    I thought he was at least bi before (but I'm probably horribly wrong lol)

We don't really have a very strong father son relationship anymore I guess cause I've changed a lot the past few years and he hasn't.

Hopefully he'll be really accepting when I finally tell him. For some reason I have a feeling I'll tell my parents within the next year. I just don't want it to get awkward or for them to start treating me weird or bad. I highly doubt they'll treat me bad but ya never know... Scary. :confused:

12. Louise

Most relationships between parent and adolescent change a lot at this time, the kids are no longer kids but young adults and thus they grow away from their parents, see them for the people they are behind 'mum' or 'dad' and either like or don't like what they see whilst still loving that person for being their parent... It can be very confusing.

Your dad talking about gay marriage may simply be because he believes in it. Not all straight people are closed minded. He may have some hidded doubts about your sexuality and simply wanted to put you at ease for the day that you feel ready to tell him, who knows, but I greatly doubt that he would go 'fishing' to push you to come out. No one has anything to gain if that were the case.

I say yay for your dad, maybe give him a bit more credit. Wait and see if he brings up the subject again or do so yourself if the occasion arises and you will get a better idea of his views on homosexuality before you take the plunge of coming out.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are quite a few possibilities as to why your dad said what he said. Having said this, and as Louise and others have indicated, it is possible that the he might be suspecting something and wants to give you hints that he will be okay with it. I think it would be a good idea, if you would try to get a better sense on his stance on homosexuality. Not only will you better know where he stands on it but it will also help you in getting ready for your coming out to him.

14. sexyalex

wanna know what i think. I think u are right, ur ddad was trying to set u up.

secodnly. let me make something clear here.

Personally i see NOTHING wrong with gay marrige. IN fact, people call it unnatural or an "abomination to God". So, is that why my parents had me out of wed-lock? Is that why my older sister got pregnant as a teen ager and her man left her and got married to another woman in the US and she is raising my neice alone? U call that..natural. If u ask me that's an abomination.

Gayssss are not the ones who are making a mockry of marrige. It's the hetrosexuals. Marrige used ot be a union of love, of two people comming to gether in bonding to bring about a family...to express everlasting love. :confused:

NOW :dry: people get married for pre-nups, "just for the kids" for money, for fame, for 42 hours(Britney spears:dry:slight_smile: and did i fail to meantion for the house and the car? yes..those too. yah betta beleive it!:tantrum:

and i am sooo angry, to hear my own mother disaporve of gay couples raising kids. She claims that they will create a bad envronment for kids and grow them to be homosexuals. I grew up to be gay....and i caught my parents having sex...3 TIMES! She is speaking as if she is mother of the year! :dry:

talk about hypocrocy! :dry:

....now i feel so emo i could eat a whole bag of carbs....:frowning2:

15. Sam

Sam

I don't know if he brought it up on purpose or it just popped up in his head after seeing the lesbian couple and wanted to make conversation, but it does seem like he is open-minded which is a plus for you when you decide to come out.