1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For trans individuals coming out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by clockworkfox, Jan 15, 2014.

1. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I found a book you might want to have them read. I think I'll print it out and give it to my parents when I finally come out to them.

My Child Is Transgender: 10 Tips for Parents of Adult Trans Children

I downloaded it and read it through. I think it would be good to leave or send with a letter. He encourages the reader to lose their sense of blame and stop worrying about what other people will think, to listen to, support, and respect their trans children, and to take care of themselves, whether that means taking a few hours to step away from the situation and catch up on a book or see a movie, or seeing a therapist themselves to help them as they work to process the new information they have about their child.

It seems like a valuable resource overall, like a quick manual for adjusting to your trans child's confession.

2. UIOP

This is good, thank you! :slight_smile:

I've already come out to my parents but they both totally misinterpret everything I say about gender dysphoria so this would be good to give them.

3. Niko

Thank you for this!

I'm already out to my parents, but they don't understand it at all; and they haven't done any research on it. I'm definitely going to have them read this at some point. :slight_smile: