1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uhm Trying to be someone i am not...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Andrew, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Andrew

Okay, well as most of you know.. I am in Volleyball Camp + Football Camp.. The only reason why I joined Football camp was to make some new friends and make my parents proud =/ Now This :***:in sucks.. Because its soo hard and crap >_<. I hate it, and its soo boring.. I tried to make myself likeable and stuff so i can have some friends (because i moved to a new high school and crap) and I am just trying to be someone I am not.. It seems like this has happened to me, since I was in 4th Grade. I always tried to be that " Popular " person and that never works out for me.. I try to act all straight and stuff and its just building up inside, that I just feel like crying it out right now.. I really dont know what to do, I want to quit football camp, but stay in volleyball camp. I hate this :frowning2:

2. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Then, in my opinion, I would sit down with the parents and tell them that you're not enjoying football camp and whatnot, but tell them you want to stay in volleyball camp

In my experience, I would suggest that you just try to be yourself. I spent a year of school trying to appear 'cool', and that year was my worst. Now i just act how i do and i'm really happy in school, and I actually like going. Its awesome that you tried something new and tried to make friends, but if it isn't for you then it isn't for you.

That's my 2 cents..

3. Andrew

My parents wasted $200 on football, =/ Their going to be really really mad at me. Also, probably b:***:in at me too. =/

4. Tim

Tim

As Jonamo said, sit down with your parents and tell them. The only want what's best for you, and they'll understand. Any parent just wants you to be happy, whether that means playing Volleyball, Football, or even on the Swim team. You obviously aren't happy playing football, so why not just tell them? The worst thing that can happen is they get disappointed, but they'll get over it. Even if they spent $200, they'll still understand if you aren't having fun. That's like saying someone needs to go to swim team practice just because they bought a swimsuit, when you can't swim. It will just hurt you in the long run, you need to talk to your parents about it. You can get seriously injured in football if you don't like it and don't give it 100% attention, your parents will know that.

Why do you feel you have to act "straight"? Just act like yourself, whether it be like a guy, a girl, a cat, or a dog. (I had a friend who acted like a cat everyday, so trust me, it isn't as weird to not act "straight" as you'd think)

Being the popular person isn't something that you should strive to be. People become "friends" with you just to get into the popular group, but they aren't true friends. Although it may seem cliche, but there are many different meanings of popular. In my opinion, being popular is people wanting to be around you because of who YOU are, not because of an act you put on trying to be someone other people want you to be.

As for making friends, just start talking to classmates. They may be just as scared as you to talk to someone new. One of my friends in high school said she was scared to death when I was put next to her, because of how big I am. But once she started talking to me, we instantly hit it off, and became quick friends, we still keep in touch on myspace on occasion today, as she moved away. If you act as who YOU are, friends will come naturally.

Hopefully some of this helped o.o A few pieces may seem a bit harsh, but it's my .02.

5. Andrew

okay i think i might tell my parents today.. Should, I tell my mom.. She is more understanding then my step-dad.. I just cant handle football anymore. When I get a job, i will pay for what i owe.. I feel so bad >_< But i just cant do it anymore. it sucks..

6. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Tell whichever one you feel more comfortable telling, for some people it's the mom and for others its the dad. Just explain to her and she shouldn't get mad (if you talk to your mom that is).

7. Tim

Tim

That's a good idea. The main problem, as you described may be the money, in which case offering to help pay for it when you do get a job will help. Just tell her you don't like football, and you're afraid you may get hurt.

Who do you have a closer connection to? Your mom or step dad? I'm guessing your mom, as I don't know anyone who is closer to their step parents then their biological ones o.o; In which case, I would suggest your mom, unless you are closer with ur stepdad, in which case, I would suggest telling both of them, your mom may feel hurt if you told your stepdad and not her. :S

I know what you mean, I HATED football, but we had to play it every week in school >_< It's either something you love, or you hate. I've yet to see someone who is in between.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Andrew! It sounds you want to quite the Football Camp. If you don't like Football, there is no point in remaining in it. Your parents will understand. I don't know if it is possible, and seeing that you like the Volleyball Camp, can't you just do the Volleyball Camp without the Football Camp?

I'm sorry that you don't like it at the new high school. Making new friends is tough and it does take some time. But I'm sure that with time you will be able to make new friends. Honestly, you don't have to be the 'popular' person on the block to make new friends. Be yourself.

Coming out to others is not easy. Societal pressures will often lead us to act straight because we are brought up in ways that conform to a 'heterosexual society.' It is hard to come out because we do not know how others will react. We are afraid of losing friends and disappointing our parents. But with time, and as you come out more, and talk to people about your feelings and your sexual identity the more comfortable you will feel not only about yourself but also with coming out to others. I see that you are talking to a Counselor. Whenever you feel that everything seems to be building up inside, make an appointment with your Counselor so that you can let everything out. Never leave your emotions and feelings inside of you to build up. What has helped me to get to the point where I am, is one, talking to a counselor on a regular basis about whatever bugs me, two, reminding my self from time to time that it is okay to be 'different', and three, telling myself that it is okay if it takes a while before I can 'truly' be myself. Another thing, that has helped is whenever I start thinking too much about it all, I just try to get mind concentrating on something else usually through doing things that I like.

Maybe what would help is if you take it one day at a time. Don't look too far ahead. You have come out to some friends already. Maybe you could talk to them as well and just ask them to listen to you.

I hope this helps!

9. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Andrew! Yes, it is a good idea to sit down with them and just be honest with them and say that you don't like football. If you feel that your mom is more understanding or you feel that it would be easier to talk to your mom about it, talk with her about it first.

10. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Also something to help make new friends is to do extracurriculars at your school. For example i am taking newspaper and have made tons of friends through it, it's truly helped me go through high school. If your school is like nearly any of them, you can find a club or afterschool thing to go to. The hardest part about making friends, in my opinion, is taking that first step...

11. Andrew

uhm, so should i just be like, " I need to talk to you mom.. I dont want to play football anymore " =/

Omg I feel like crying right now.. This is soo hard >_<. Should i just tell her straight out.

I hate this, i knew i shouldnt of entered in football camp in the first place..

-Luis :frowning2:

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a great suggestion. Reading through it, I thought what might help as well is if you could try joining a GLBT group in your community. There you would not only be able to make new friends but you would also have someone to talk to if you need to. As Jonamo suggested, definitely try joining a club in your school. Maybe your high school has a GSA that you could join.

13. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Except the only problem I would see with joining a GSA is that, at least in my school, sadly they are the laughing stock of the school. It is horrible that people would do that but they do. If you aren't comfortable with that yet I suggest you could wait. But this also depends on your school and where it is...

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good start. Just be honest. You could say: "Mom, I need to talk to you about football camp. I have tried football, but I don't really like it. Would be alright if I just stick to the Volleyball?" Be honest and straight forward. I know you can do it. No worries. Everything is going to be okay.

15. Tim

Tim

Does your school have a volleyball club? I know most of the schools around here do, sounds like it would be a good place for you to fit in and meet people w/ similar interests.

About your mom, Asteroid summed it up pretty good.

16. Andrew

Yeah.. I could never join a LGTB Group.. It is the laughing stock..

-Luis

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if the GSA at your high school is the laughing stock (which is really sad and horrible btw) you could try joining a GLBT group outside of your school in the community, which would not be the laughing stock. That might help you as well in getting to know new people. But of course it also depends if you would feel comfortable with joining such a group. It might help you though. Think about it for a while.

18. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's the one reason I haven't/didn't join. It's too hard to emotionally come out, and then become the laughing stock of the school. But i still do think that you should try to join some clubs and whatnot, the worst that could happen is that it's not what you thought and you just join another.

19. Andrew

I cant.. because then i would have to come out to my parents.. and i am not ready to come out yet.

20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh okay! Then I guess your best bet would be to join a club (any club) at your high school if you feel that joining a GLBT group would require you to come out to your parents. Of course don't do anything you do not feel comfortable with. Don't worry about it. Myzou made the suggestion of joining a Volleyball club at your school. Maybe you could look into that then.

Hope your talk with your mom goes well. Let us know how it goes.

Hope this helps!