1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Public

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HarryIsCute, Jan 17, 2014.

1. HarryIsCute

Hey y'all!

So recently I've been thinking to myself "UGHHHHH Why can't I just post it on Facebook or something and not care what people think?!" Thought/comments/concerns regarding a very public coming out such as this or just screaming "I'M [INSERT ORIENTATION HERE]" in a large crowd?

2. Fourth Gate

Nothing is preventing you from doing that, take a leap of faith?

3. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can do that if you want to. People do that today. Gradually the word eventually gets around. It only seems like screaming to you. To most others it is just another ho-hum fact about you, which they noticed on Facebook; no big deal to them.

4. Saint Otaku

I recently re-created a facebook account, my "interested in men" being visible only to my few friends. The problem, for me, comes with deciding who I should befriend, how I'll deal with not being out to my family, and what the reaction might be in my community once the info gets beyond those whom I've friended.

In regards to you, I think merely letting your "interested in" properly reflect the truth is enough -- once you've personally come out to those you hold dearest -- but I won't dissuade you from proclaiming it to all in a very public manner.

5. ladylovelylocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think those closest to you deserve an actual chat first about it before it is made 'super public' as you put it. If your closest people to you (whether that be siblings, best friend, parents etc) already know then I don't see any issue at all with you making a statement on Facebook or in another public way...often those you have on Facebook or other social media aside from family/best friends are people who will go 'oh didnt know that' maybe be shocked for a min and move on to the next thing.
    I have a sorta friend who within a couple weeks changed her relationship status to 'in relationship with (insert guys name here)' and then to 'single' and then to 'in a relationship with (insert girls name here)' I noted it and moved on to the next news items :wink:

6. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just changed my interested in section. Technically you're "out" by doing that and nobody has mentioned it. I think my Aunts and Step Grandma suspected that i'm LGBT because they always comment on things I comment on related to LGBT rights. That and I bet they know by now cause they stalk my profile

7. ChainsrGone

Once I talked to the closest people who I didn't want to have to find out through social media, I first began with changing my "Interest In" A few people caught on and messaged me. But it didn't take long and I just decided I was tired of some people knowing and some not, so I made a very calm, rational post on my page. This was my post:

I have been trying to figure out who I am for many years now and no matter how much I try to be "normal" I cannot deny who I truely am anymore. I cannot fake being someone I'm not. Many people know, some I have kept it from in fear of judgement, criticism, or rejection. But I don't care anymore. I am who I am and I will not change for anyone. If you don't like it, feel free to remove me from your friends list; it'll show me who my true friends are. I like women, I want meet, date, and marry a woman. and I am not going to hide anymore. Accept me or reject me, that is your choice, but this is MY choice.

I got a lot of support, some people private messaged me and told me they didn't agree with my lifestyle, but just as my post stated, I did learn who my true friends are. It's no longer a secret, it's just out there...and I've never felt better.