1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by yabusiness5, Jan 17, 2014.

1. yabusiness5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello Everyone,
    I am in the process of slowly coming out, i recently told my friends that i was interested in both men and woman, they all seem to be okay with it but, i am extremely nervous about coming out to my family. I remember my sister tried to tell our parents that she was bisexual and my mom told her she was disgusting and my dad just wouldn't even talk to her. Its just confusing. And to make matters worse i think my friend might have feelings for me, he claims to be straight, but hes always rubbing my back and flirting with me. One of our friends told us that we should just fuck and get it over with and all he did was smile.He makes me confused and i don't know how to handle that situation either. -.- ugh. advice please? :dry:

2. ManchesterJbre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations for telling your friends and i'm glad that they were ok with it! I think everybody is nervous about coming out to their family and that's alright - even more so with your sisters experiences. I will say that you should only tell them when you feel comfortable telling them as it is your choice to tell them and involve them further in your life. If you think they will react badly then make arrangements with a friend or family member to stay the night or weekend at their house whilst they cool down and come to terms with it as they might need a bit of time.

As for the 'straight friend' crush on you situation i'd tread carefully and talk to him and try to probe whether he might be gay or bi but don't force any serious questions about his sexuality on him because he might not be ready to accept it or tell people.

Good Luck!
    Josh :slight_smile:

3. SixesAndSevens

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi!

Sorry to hear that your parents didn't react too well with your sister. You didn't say how long ago that happened or if you all live together, but how's that situation going now? If they still aren't taking it too well or you think they still feel the same way, now might not be the right time to come out to them. I'm sure things will improve on that front, you might just have to give it a little time.

On the matter of your friend, do you feel anything romantically toward him or is it a one way thing? Either way, it certainly doesn't sound like he's completely straight and he's not actively pretending otherwise.

Anyway, congratulations on your coming out so far and I wish you the best of luck as you continue! :slight_smile:

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell your friend that you are glad that he is OK with you being gay, and that you appreciate him accepting you for who you are, just as you would accept him being bi or gay if he had told that to you. Also tell him that you like it when he rubs your back, because it feels like he does really accept you, and that he is not just saying the words.

By telling him in advance that you would accept him and that you like it when he gets close to you, it clears the way for him to come out to you if that is the case and he wants to, but you are describing how it feels to YOU, not trying to trap him by asking him outright how HE feels or whether he is gay.