1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out of the deep, dark, scary, closet ?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DMinaj, Jan 19, 2014.

1. DMinaj

DMinaj Guest

Hey my name is Damon. I am 14 years old and I am bisexual. I have been planning on coming out to my dad and step mom because we are really close and I feel like it is time they know. From what I can see they are not homphobic. But, when I try to tell them I almost throw up and I get really nervous and don't do it. Also, I go to his house every other weekend. Do you have any good tips or things to say? Also I was thinking about recording it so if it goes well I could go back and listen to it . Is this a good idea or is it creepy.
    Thanks

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would it be creepy? There's nothing wrong with recording something to give you a little confidence boost!

If you're having difficulty saying it out loud, had you considered writing it down in a short letter and giving it to them?

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey greetings from another bi guy on the other side of the Ohio River! Coming out is pretty nerve-wracking, it's true. I told my parents in person, which was pretty tough but it meant we got to have a full conversation about what I meant when I said I was bi, how I knew, how they felt, and whatnot. I'm glad I did it that way but yeah it wasn't easy.

If you don't want to do that, I'd recommend writing a letter. It gives you a chance to edit it without having to re-record if you mess up. Just be warned that they'll want to talk to you face to face after they read it.

Feel free to bounce any ideas off of us here at EC!

4. DMinaj

DMinaj Guest

I have thought about writing a letter, but I want i think if I were to talk to them it would mean more. And thanks to you ElliaOtaku, I am going to record it. And thanks for the help from both of you.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a lot of coming-out videos on YouTube that I watched before I came out. You may find some inspiration there.

6. DMinaj

DMinaj Guest

biwinning I love mattock610's video where he came out to his mom and troye sivan's coming out story. They are really helpful,like you said. I will probably watch one before I come out.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the Troye Sivan video, but I haven't seen the other one. I watched this one a couple times. He reads his coming-out letter that he left for his mom. I like how he anticipated a lot of the questions she was going to ask.

Coming Out Letter For Mom - YouTube

8. DMinaj

DMinaj Guest

Thanks. I will watch it. :slight_smile:

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just so you know, I personally think that as long as you are with them when they read the letter it means just as much. It's not like you have to hand it to them and run away! It just takes away that initial bout of fear!

10. DMinaj

DMinaj Guest

Yeah. Something is telling me to say it like it just feels right. But if I can't, then I will write a letter. :slight_smile:

11. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not write it down with the intention of saying it, so you have a back-up next time? That way you can still try your hardest to say it and if it comes out, then great, if not then it's not the end of the world!

12. DMinaj

DMinaj Guest

I have one written. Thanks.