1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling a little blue

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kenko, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello all,

I'm feeling a little blue and looking for a little cheer up. :frown:

I'm currently on a work term for University and I'm out of town, so I'm away from all my "friends" in a pretty desolate place. And I don't really like my job so it's hard getting up in the morning and going to work.

It feels a little too much like the movie Groundhog Day. Every day I wake up at the same time, go to work at the same time, do the same sort of menial tasks, go home at the same time, make supper, watch TV / surf the net, go to bed. Rinse, repeat. The problem is there isn't anything else to do around here, and no one else to hang out with.

Another problem is I'm kind of having a mini- identity crisis. I'm still questioning that I'm in the right major at school, and whether I'm on the right career path. I've already switched majors once. I'm also worried about whether I can successfully finish my degree (I'm in my 3rd year). Also added to that is my worries of orientation.

I was sure I was gay, but now I don't really know what I am. I was going to tell my parents, but I chickened out because I don't want to tell them I am, only to figure out I'm not, because it's a hard thing to un-say.

I'm also kind of lonely in general. I don't have any really good friends, mostly just acquaintances from school. I occasionally go out with them if I catch word of something happening, but I don't actually have anything like a "best friend". I don't know if it's me sub-consciously not wanting to open up for fear of "someone finding out" or if it's just 'cause I'm socially retarded.

Anyways, any words of wisdom, funny jokes, huge collages of smilies, drawing, etc would be appreciated.

2. finding_out

finding_out Guest

Hey, I'm not really one for billions of smilies of a "two guys walk into a bar" kind of girl, so care for some advice? I think this isn't exactly a problem that can be solved in "a few easy steps". You say that you don't really have a "best friend" but a few acquaintances you hang with. Try and get closer to them. I know it's easier said then done, but invite them out for a while, or try to make some new friends in the town where you are. Again, I know easier said then done. I don't know if I can help you much with the school thing, I think that's the kind of thing that comes with time. I know that the orentation thing is really hard to figure out, I'm trying right now, and my mind is almost splitting. You'll figure out though, it's not something that can be letf teetering on the edge for that long. You'll find out, or your body will make you at some point. I really wish you the best of luck in this, it seems your going througha little rough patch. I really hope everything works out for you!
    ~Jesse

3. CatamiteAngel

*hugs* I think know exactly what it's like (I think, I can never know). I'm 10 hours away from home in uni too, and I'm changing my major next year and I still don't know what university I'll end up at. And no real friends here, my best friends are online (and therefore portable, thank god).

For making my friends, I gotta say, the only way you'll really get in there is to find people with the same interests as you. Otherwise, there's not much to talk about. I'm into roleplaying online, that's how I've met my friends, and they're always just a phone call away. IRL, I've met a few people at work who also play Dungeons and Dragons, and started a game. So my advice is, find people you can *do* stuff with, not just random folks... it's alot easier to get to the next step of friendship ^^.

4. LorenzG1950

Hi Kenko,

cheer up(*hug*) We all have phases where the daily drudge gets us down. It helps to break the routine, do something crazy, go to a movie, a club, a sports event, a concert, buy a book, a CD (that works well for me), have dinner with a friend, plan something special for the weekend, preferably with someone else. We can't always change our location but we damn well can make the best of it. Physical activity helps too, even if it's only a long walk to a part of town you haven't seen before.

As for the other issues. Look for the major that will allow you to go in multiple directions, not just one specialized field (that you may not like later on). Changing your mind is not a fault. It shows that you're thinking and adapting to new perspectives. Some people blunder along the same path all of their lives because they don't dare admit that they made a mistake.

As for your doubts on sexuality, that too is perfectly normal. It took me several years to figure out that I was gay. And there are days when, for a quick moment, I wonder if I might just think I'm gay. But that doubt disappears quickly when I think about my boyfriend(s) and the next kiss I'm longing for(!) . Give yourself time. Finding your sexuality could take a while. It's not a race. It's an exciting journey that has lots of interesting stops along the way.

It sounds like you're lumping all of your challenges together and becoming depressed as a result. Separate things and don't try to resolve everything at once. Work on the things you can do something about and put the difficult ones on the backburner. A lot depends on how we go into a new day, our attitude, whether we are willing to find joy in the little things, the smile of a child, a purring cat, a thank you from someone you have been nice to...You get the picture.

Dig yourself out and good luck:thumbsup: