1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Come Out to my Parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tyler h, Jan 20, 2014.

1. tyler h

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always been attracted to men and never woman, despite how I've tried to date women. But, I'm now sure that I am gay. I'm just attracted to men and not women, and that's all there is to it. I told my best friend, and she's been supportive. She mentioned that my parents may already know. I have two lesbian aunts and they've always been accepted and supported. I just don't want my parents to be upset or mourn as if they've lost a child. That would just kill me. I like theater, singing and art and they support those passions, so they might actually already know. Well, I just really need some advice from anyone.

Edit; I'm 16 as of today, by the way.

#1 tyler h, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " I just don't want my parents to be upset or mourn as if they've lost a child."

Do you have any reason to think they will do this, mainly the last bit...?

3. katwat

Do you have a good relationship with your parents? Can you generally talk about problems and expect their support? If they are supportive of LGBT people in general (and what you say about them being supportive of your aunts makes it sound like they are) then hopefully they will be equally supportive of you.

If you have a good solid supportive relationship then they will hopefully feel like I did when my daughter came out to me as bi. I was glad she trusted me enough to come to me. I was worried about how other people would treat her. I had a thought of "oh crap now I have to worry about girls too" because the thought of her dating someday has been stressing me since before she got boobs. The gender of her future partners is of little concern to me. The fact that she will have sexual partners is still a boggle to my mind as she is only 12 LOL but I do want her to have happiness, joy and love.

I wish you well.

4. Lozzastitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because this world was brought up on Christian values, most people have grown up with girl/boy relationships. I'm lesbian and sometimes i still find myself staring when i see a gay couple. Take a deep breath. Your relationship with your parents will get stronger over time. just don't lie to yourself or them. be you.

5. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If your Aunts are gay and your parents are supportive of them, why wouldn't they be supportive of their own child?