1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to drop hints

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NotSureWhatIam, Jan 20, 2014.

1. NotSureWhatIam

I know I ask a lot of questions here, but here's another.

I've decided to come out to my best friend by dropping hints to kind of lighten the shock. He's very not homophobic but we are close and I used to and kinda still do just a little have a crush on him. So I dont want him to think I'm coming on to him since he has a girlfriend and it would make him uncomfortable. Anyhow, I was wondering if any of you have tips on how to drop subtle hints to a person so the coming out thing comes easier. This may be impossible or stupid so I'm ready for those answers as well. So. Any tips?:help:

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2014 at 08:27 PM ----------

I've said things like I'm never having kids, and I don't get along with women and things like that.

2. Alpha78

Out Status:
    A few people
    You could start making it more noticeable when you check out another guy?

3. CandyCutes

Out Status:
    A few people
    I drop hints a lot with my sis to remind her that I like girls XD I also do that with my parents, but very subtly.
    You could brush it off to him by complimenting a guy, or just simple things like "Hey, that guy looks pretty sharp today." Anything could work!
    I like to constantly remind people that I don't like menly-men because they're so... well, manly lol XD Also, you could "joke" about guys being completely attractive and laugh about it until you build the confidence to come out.

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not ask him if anyone has ever come out as gay to him, and how did he feel about it. Does he feel different about hanging around with them afterwards? The conversation may drift into a situation where you feel more comfortable telling him, or he may even ask, giving you the opportunity. Since you say he is "very not homophobic" it is unlikely he will react in a negative way however incrementally you decide to tell him.

5. hyperaware

hyperaware Guest

Telling a guy is attractive and/or is looking nice today is a good idea. I used to do that (talking about girls instead of guys) and it worked pretty well. I guess the people I came out to already knew deep down that I was gay, so maybe your friend does too. Best friends have a sixth sense.

6. AaronMed

Doodle little gay symbols, like ⚣, where he can see them. Hopefully he'll ask what you're drawing :slight_smile:

7. Skov

It is my opinion that hints don't work very well. People are so used to thinking of you as straight that the hints like, "I don't want kids," or, "I'll never marry a girl," don't even register to them. Even saying a guy looks good today might come across as a bromance thing to other guys.

Another example of hints not working well was with my parents. I started becoming pretty vocal for my support of LGBT things and my parents kept wondering why I wouldn't date my best friend (a girl). I just told them that the attraction wasn't there (she's a really pretty girl too btw). Well long story short, they thought she was a lesbian, not that I was gay.

I'm not saying hints can't work because they can in some cases. I've just personally found them to not work very well. If you do something really not-so-subtle, like the drawing thing above, it may provide for an easier transition than randomly going, "I'm gay."

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. If you have to hint you are not ready.

It takes a level of maturity where you are comfortable with yourself and can speak openly.

What if your "hint" goes nuclear, are you ready for that?

You will get your confidence. Join your gay/straight alliance as a start. If you cannot do that work towards it.

Tom

9. Canfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you be yourself (talking about the things you like, act the way you are), people will start to notice there is something different. In my case, I know some people think I'm gay (for example, one of my best girl friend's boyfriend suspects about me, and my best best friend told me that some people from her group of friends talked about suspecting me that I'm gay), even so, they still talk to me.

10. NotSureWhatIam

That makes sense, a coworker told me she felt like I was secretly gay, and another coworker outright asked me. I let "oh he's cute" slip once or twice but I played it off as a joke every time. I did come out to my first person yesterday (a bi friend) and he was pretty shocked (I guess I'm kinda a gaybro so you can't really tell with a "gaydar") I'm ready to tell him, I'm just nervous that it will affect the closeness of our friendship as I've seen straight guys act "Super straight" around gay friends to overcompensate the obvious. He is my best friend so I feel like he has that 6th sense. He's even said "I know you don't like girls" and looked at me seriously then kinda chuckled to play it off as a joke. I think I'm going to tell him this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

11. Canfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish you good luck!:thumbsup:

12. NotSureWhatIam

13. Skov

Good luck! When I told my super straight, ultra masculine best guy friend, he was a little shocked at first! He said he could always tell something was a little different, but didn't know what. He was super cool about it though! Honestly, nothing has really changed now, but I think we're closer friends

14. NotSureWhatIam

^Thanks for that, I hope It works that way for me too. I hope he takes it like it is, the fact that I trust him more than anybody else as I'm telling him first.

15. Trailblazer

I just want to add since you say you're a little nervous because you said "He's very not homophobic but we are close and I used to and kinda still do just a little have a crush on him. So I dont want him to think I'm coming on to him since he has a girlfriend and it would make him uncomfortable." I don't think you would really have to worry about that, since I doubt he would know anyway, that's just kind of in your head. Seems like you shouldn't have much trouble with him being cool with it though. Good luck.

16. MayatheSiren99

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just blurted out that I was trans when I went to come out to my mother. I tried dropping hints and everything. Dressing a little differently, leaving my clothes where they'd be noticed. She seemed kinda blind to things. Sometimes hints won't work

17. Canfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah... that is called being naive or absent minded I guess. My mom is like that too!

18. femmeinpink

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think hints can work with some people, but not with others. Maybe with your friend it will, since he knows you pretty well, and you can kind of direct conversations in the way you want them to go, and hopefully he'll pick up on it. I know with my parents, hints don't work so well since they have it in their minds that I'm straight (despite rarely showing interest in guys) and it's hard for some people to accept that their idea of their child doesn't quite match up with reality!

19. NotSureWhatIam

Well I did it before I expected to, I just texted him a long ass paragraph and he was totally cool with it. He said he's happy for me and "weirdly happy that [im] gay because I won't try to hit on his girlfriend". I'm glad that I finally did it. I also told my brother and he said he wants to be there to support me when I come out to my parents because they're uber christian. I wouldn't do it without you EC! Thanks!

20. anonomous

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    thats so good. you know, i whish i was a gay guy. but good for you.