1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best and Worst Experience

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cigsmoker, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys,

I am a 30-year old gay guy living in Manila, Philippines. I came out to all my friends when I was 15 [then years later, to my sister] and fortunately, they were extremely understanding and accepting of who I am. Some of my friends who are girls were a bit relieved and excited because they never had a friend who was gay prior to knowing me. And most of my straight guy friends were equally accepting as well.

I have to admit though, my coming out wasn't actually a big deal [to me and to all the people I confided in] and I am not sure if its a good thing or not. There weren't any tears, no hugging, no celebration. But there weren't any violent reactions or hateful words either. The whole experience was just...steady and somewhat uneventful. It wasn't much of a defining moment in my life. It sort of just...happened. And in retrospect, I wish there was some thing that happened that made my coming out much more memorable and profound.

My question is, do you have any best and/or worst experience or moment when you came out to your family/friends? Was there any? Or it was also kind of uneventful [for lack of a better term] just like mine? I am curious to know your stories.

2. Xochipilli

Well, I'm only officially out to one person, my brother, and that was kind of blah.

I've always known I was gay. I accepted it from the beginning, but didn't consider seriously coming out until I was around 18 and didn't actually do it until I was 22. There was all this build up before the moment and when I finally told him, his response was just, "Oh, cool." Very anticlimactic.

It's definitely a good thing though, for both of us. Smoochin' on the dudes, when you are one, shouldn't be a big deal. :slight_smile:

3. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Xochipilli!

Anticlimactic! That's the word I was thinking when I started the thread!
    Yes! Mine was very anticlimactic as well. I actually prepared for one entire summer to come out and when school started and told my friends...they were like "hmmm, good for you!"
    I told my sister a few years after that and she basically reacted the same way. She eventually became somewhat happy with it because she now has someone to go shopping with. LOL.

But that's a good thing, right? At least we didn't experience anything negative. It wasn't a defining moment, but the reaction wasn't bad either.

And you are right, it's definitely a good thing. Not sure about the smoochin' though because I haven't done that in front of my friends. Haha.

Cigsmoker [Sam]

4. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Could mean that being gay is becoming normal and accepted within society due to the anticlimactic nature, so whoot progression!

5. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi RainbowRally! Oh yeah, oh my I never saw it that way. You are probably right. Society is probably looking at it as if its the new norm or something. Cheers to progression, indeed! (!)

6. meg189

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only out to one person but it was really great! They told me that they were really glad I trusted them and we're very supportive!

7. DeVotchKa

DeVotchKa Guest

Hello! I think that's the greatest reaction you could have gotten. It shows that homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted in many parts of the world.

I'm only out to my closest friends and they reacted the same way, understanding, accepting and supporting.

8. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I eventually got my face sewn back on. It's not center anymore, but at least all the scars are on the inside of my mouth. It's slightly to the right. So one might consider that a bad experience.

Things were a bit different 25 years ago.

9. Echoing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My parents disowned me completely and my father hung himself because he couldn't stand having a 'tranny son'.

Fairly bad, not as bad as Marvin's story though.

10. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi meg189, that is great that you will able to confide to at least one person and the fact the he/she was able to accept you and be very supportive about it is super awesome. I am happy for you. Do you have plans on telling anyone else anytime soon?

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2014 at 10:32 AM ----------

Hi DeVotchKa! I think you are right. People are becoming more and more accepting and receptive of homosexuality the world over. I still wish more would be like that, especially the older generation. Nevertheless, I am glad to hear that your closest friends are very understanding and accepting as well. Those are the friends you have to keep in your life. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2014 at 10:38 AM ----------

Hi MarvinMinsky! My sincerest apologies but I initially thought you were just kidding when I first read your reply. I know now that its not. I live in another part of the world and never heard of someone experiencing that just because of his sexual identity. I am so sorry to hear that. And you are right, it was truly a horrible experience and things were definitely a whole lot different 25 years ago. I wonder how you are doing now? (*hug*)

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2014 at 10:41 AM ----------

Hi Echoing, just like Marvin's story, I honestly thought you were kidding but now I know its not. My apologies as well. I guess its a good thing I joined this forum so I get to hear stories like you guys from another part of the world.
    I cannot believe your father would do that. May I ask when did it happen and how did you cope with it. I sincerely do hope you are doing okay. (*hug*)

11. phoebe

Well I told my best friend on Facebook and she was okay with it so quite uneventful there...
    But when I told my other friend she stopped replying to me...