1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i can't get the words out of my mouth

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Austin97, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Austin97

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i haven't came out to anyone yet and i've been trying for weeks to come out as transgender just to my therapist.. every time i see her i feel like i can't get the words out. i just keep putting it off and suffering.. i want to come out to her bc i'm seeing her for depression and anxiety and my gender issues are the main cause behind all of that. i just keep holding myself back and i don't know why. i feel that if i come out to her, i'll be making a mistake or something even though i've been dealing with gender issues since childhood. i feel like i won't be taken seriously since i still live as female even though i feel like i'm male

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " i feel like i won't be taken seriously since i still live as female even though i feel like i'm male"

Anyone who won't take you seriously because of that is a poor excuse for a therapist as far as I am concerned, and I really doubt that will be the case. There are lots of reasons to doubt something like this, but the fact that you're still living as female sure as hell isn't one of them.

I don't know what you've tried yet but I've always found it easier to write the thing I want to say on a piece of paper and take it in with me, and sit the paper either on my lap or between me and the therapist. If I can't say the actual words I can just say "Read that" and then hide in my coat for a few minutes!

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you thought about maybe writing a letter to come out to her? It can work well if you are having a hard time saying it to her.

It can be a hard thing to say, because in order to say it, you have to let down those emotional walls that you have built over a long period of time. You have to try to let go of the fact that you are scared of somebody knowing. That's not something that happens overnight, it takes some time. So, don't be ashamed that you cannot say this out loud, because it's a big thing. To even be considering coming out is a big step :slight_smile:

I also think that it's a good choice to come out to your therapist first, because she can help you come to terms with your identity more, as well as help you when you decide to come out to your family.