1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No idea how to tell my mother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Adiel, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Adiel

So I've been wanting to tell my mom I'm more male than female but i have no idea how. I'm completely fine with her knowing, but I have absolutely no idea were to start. I don't even know if she would understand. She only recently found out about the term "genderfluid". She asked me if I was genderfluid, so I think she knows I'm not her little girl anymore but I can't actually find a way to tell her that won't alarm her too much.

2. jargon

I don't think "genderfluid" is really a term that most people outside of the LGBTQ+ community are familiar with, so that fact that she understands that concept is actually not a bad start. If she asked you about it in a non-accusatory way, it sounds as if she might not be too threatened by gender variance in general. When she asked you about genderfluidity, did she seem like she would have been alarmed if you said "yes"?

Since you had that talk already, one approach might to be say "Remember that conversation we had about people who are genderfluid? Well I still don't think that's exactly the right label for me, but I don't think I'm completely female either." She will probably need some education about gender variance, and plenty of time to think about all of this. My sister is trans*, and when she came out to my mom, her main concern was just my sister's safety (i.e., because of transphobia/bashing). If you're willing to talk to your mom about what you can do to avoid situations where you're endangered by this sort of thing, I bet that would go a long way towards comforting any distress she might have.

This is a really big step, but it sounds to me like it should go pretty well! Good luck!

3. Adiel

But I don't know... She didn't seem accusatory at all but she still seems really uncomfortable when I talk about neckties and boxers. I know I have it so much better than most, but I still have my doubts.

4. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I understand this to a degree, because my mom isn't homophobic but she was derisive when I said I was a lesbian - like I was confused, in a phase, looking for attention, etc. But she is S L O W L Y coming to accept it. Good luck. I hope you do get to tell your mom, and that she's okay (even happy) with it. Who knows? But come out when YOU feel ready to.

5. Adiel

Thank you. I'll see if I can word up the courage sometime this week. I'll probably get back to this thread thing eventually if not soon.

6. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good luck to you!

7. Adiel

Of course, I got the usual reply of, "I already knew"

8. Camrok

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry dude. Getting replies like that always suck. I hope everything else goes well for you.

9. Adiel

I don't think it's too terrible, It was just about what I was expecting to get and is much better than the alternate possibilities.